• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

preparing surface for raptor liner

spencer elliott

NAXJA Forum User
ok so ive got most of my supplies for this job, but need to know a couple of things first.

does the raptor kit come with a degreaser? i know UPOL sells a degreaser, but does any of it come in the raptor kit? im guessing not from the description of the kit on their website. i ask because ive still got some POR-15's "marine clean" and may try to use that instead of buying something else. only problem is that im not sure if ive got enough. if i do have to buy something then what would be recommended aside from UPOL's degreaser?

my plan is it use a scothbrite pad on the factory surface to remove the clear coat and roughen it up a bit. then to take a wire or crimped wire cup brush to the sections that have rust, and also to remove the rubber undercoating inside the fender wells. after clearcoat, rust, and undercoating is removed to the best of my ability, i will clean it and use Rustoleum Self Etching Primer on all of it. then finish it with the raptor.

does that sound about right? i dont have to remove the factor paint right? just the clear coat...?

any other advise is appreciated.

If you have rust, you need to treat with a rust stabilizer such as POR-15 or any of a myriad of rust stabilizing primers. If you spray over rust without stabilizing, give it a year and it will be bubbling.

If you have rust, you need to treat with a rust stabilizer such as POR-15 or any of a myriad of rust stabilizing primers. If you spray over rust without stabilizing, give it a year and it will be bubbling.

im planning on using rustoleum self etching primer... should be sufficient no? :dunno:

No. Self etching will not stabilize any existing rust, it is good on bare clean metal to make things stick, but on rust, not so good.

i see...

any aerosol versions of this stabilizing primer that you would recommend? Duplicolor or something...? I dont wanna have to buy any por-15. is there something that I can walk into a local store and just buy?

so i shouldnt be using the self etching primer on scuffed factory paint either then huh...? i would need to take it down to bare metal to use it...?

thanks for spotting that gap btw

im off to look for stabilizing primers

Last edited:
bought some rustoleum Rust Reformer which now i know is the correct primer for rust.

so im going to be lining over factory paint/clear coat (clear coat removed and scuffed up), bare metal, and rusted metal. i know i have to use the rust converting primer on rust, but can or should it be also used on the bare metal and scuffed up factory paint...?

basically i guess im asking if i am going to have to use 2 different primers here?

after i prepare all the surfaces for priming, do i just use the Rust Reformer on everything? or do i have to cover the rusted areas with the Rust Reformer, allow to dry and then go over everything with a different primer?

i want this stuff to last so i wanna prep correctly.

rust mort will take care of it, just put some in a cup and brush it on

X9999999 just follow directions as far as try time and application coats and you will be fine. I use this stuff all the time on different projects.

After fixing rust and scuffing everything, I used a panel prep/degreaser/adhesion promoter with good results. Citrus panel prep its called. The bulldog is another good one. Found these at my local carquest that mixes paint.

can anyone tell me if i can use the rust converting primers on all of it?

will it serve as a regular primer as well or is it designed to be used on rusted surfaces ONLY?

from what i can tell ill need to sand/scuff everything up (factory paint, rusted metal, and bare metal) and remove as much loose rust as i can. then clean the surfaces and use the rust converting primer on the rusted areas ONLY. after that is dry i then sand/scuff/clean everything up again and coat everything with a regular primer (any suggestions?). and then finally another fine sanding/cleaning and finishing it in the raptor... does that sound about right?

or can i use the rust converting primer as a reg primer as well and skip the second sand/clean/prime step...? im hoping i can, but im guessing that ill need the second priming step.

thanks everyone. ill be sure to post pics when its done.

remove rust... scuff... spray your rust converting primer... primer everything... scuff... degrease... tac rag.... spray liner.

does not come with a gun. its a $12 part.

is yours the tintable or black liner?

i ended up getting the black. i thought about tinting it, but im would be worried that i wouldnt match each bottle the same or something.

so about this gun. i just realized that there is a kit on amazon that comes with the gun. i feel like a jackass... anyway so i go to order the gun by itself from TCP Global and they want to charge me $40 for a 3 business day ship... blasphemy!

can i get this gun locally somewhere? any other brands that are the same gun?

this sure looks a lot like the Upol gun:
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-4538-Economy-Undercoat/dp/B003D3N7W4/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2

if i have to order it online i wanna do it right now, but if anyone knows of any retail stores that may carry this i be very intersted.

thanks!

i ended up ordering this gun instead... as stated before it looks identical to the upol gun.

plus it was $12 and free next day shipping (prime)... should be delivered on Tuesday. TCP Global would have been $20 for the gun $40 for shipping and i wouldnt have gotten it until Wed. or Thurs.

napa should have the gun as well...

also, tinting is easy:
you have 750ml of base, and ad 250ml of hardener. thats 1000 total ml or 1L. directions say to add 10% color for tinting... 1000/10=100ml. mixing cups are your friend. its just like making cookies. ;)

looking forward to seeing pictures of the result. im waiting to replace my rockers to spray mine.

i will be sure to take pics and post them up.

it all starts tomorrow morning. i took the whole week off to do this and some other stuff ive been putting off. E-Auto Works harness, driver door speaker re-wire, rear passenger door power window (not sure whats wrong there), and just some random stuff.

here is what im starting with. currently 3" w/ 31s... nothing special.

-1-1.jpg

been mostly a DD, but ill be slowly building and DDing a JK soon and when that happens my XJ (Chopper) will be purely an expedition vehicle. planning on long arms, SYE, regear to 456s, 33s, armor, etc... all that before the end of the year!

cant wait

Last edited:
finally got to actually applying the raptor today and i went through much more than i thought. the whole gallon in fact.

it seemed as if the gun was really laying it on. my PSI was around 50-55. plus that shit dries quick. i was brushing it on in some small areas and you have to brush real quick. and forget about the paint brush after that!

actually i think i need another litre of the stuff to finish the job. i also feel that i think i would prefer the texture from rolling it on rather than spraying. if i do this to my JK i will indeed be rolling it on.

other than that it looks pretty damn nice. ill post up pics as soon as everything is back together.

Back