• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low mileage short blocks?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
what do those run nowadays? I think that my first cylinder woes actually are going to take me down the rebuild or swap the engine route :( Which means I'm trying to decide now:
1. Low mileage engine
2. Rebuild myself
3. Buy a rebuilt one.....

Low budget stroker :D

what do those run nowadays? I think that my first cylinder woes actually are going to take me down the rebuild or swap the engine route :( Which means I'm trying to decide now:
1. Low mileage engine
2. Rebuild myself
3. Buy a rebuilt one.....

what yr?

well I was going to offer a complete engine with everything. if I parted my jeep out and it fit your yr range. its only got maybe 1000 miles, prolly closer to 500. new everything!

well I was going to offer a complete engine with everything. if I parted my jeep out and it fit your yr range. its only got maybe 1000 miles, prolly closer to 500. new everything!

I'd make it work :D I can always swap just the sensors and the top stuff that wouldn't match ;)

I'd make it work :D I can always swap just the sensors and the top stuff that wouldn't match ;)

well i would be selling everything as if it was all usable and you might not like the $ as much as if you found just a long block..

Isn't it called a long block?

At least that is what Russ says. :dunno:

Who gives a crap how many miles are on the block. Inline motors don't have as much wear on the wall so they hold up well. WORST case scenario, punch it 30 over and buy some pistons.

Trying to avoid having to do that ;)

RussP states that most of the 4.0 blocks don't need to be gone over even with higher mileage.

He says the 'V' motors are definitly an issue but not the inline motors.

IF you had to punch it over, cast pistons are like $200 anyhow. Machining is another story but Russ just did 3 blocks over the weekend and could sell you one.

point me in that direction please :p

uh. 4.2 cranks and rods, stock pistions, stock cam. Probably should buy a new timing chain/gear and water pump but you don't have to or can do it later. New head gasket and a valve job and your good to go.

Can't get much cheaper than that.

uh. 4.2 cranks and rods, stock pistions, stock cam. Probably should buy a new timing chain/gear and water pump but you don't have to or can do it later. New head gasket and a valve job and your good to go.

Can't get much cheaper than that.

when you say stock rods are you referring to stock rods and pistons from a 4.2 or a 4.0? would you recommend any machine work when doing it on the cheap?

when you say stock rods are you referring to stock rods and pistons from a 4.2 or a 4.0? would you recommend any machine work when doing it on the cheap?

4.2 rods.

My understanding is that the block should be decked but you should check with Russ or JeepStrokers to be sure.

4.2 rods.

My understanding is that the block should be decked but you should check with Russ or JeepStrokers to be sure.

I can see why decking the block would be necessary. Hmm.... now you got me wanting to build a motor... i hate you!

Maybe I can give some input and answer a few questions in the process.

A short block is a cylinder block with a assembled rotating assembly (crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, rings, bearings). Included is a camshaft and timing set.

A long block is everything previously stated, but with the addition of a cylinder head and valve train (rocker arms, pushrods, and lifters.

As Avery stated, the cylinder bores in our up and down inline engines usually have minimal cylinder wall wear. If you want to do a rebuild on the cheap. Honing the block and putting in a new set of molly rings along with rod and main bearings, topped off with a timing chain and gears, and you should be good for another 100K.

Fill free to drop me a pm if I can be of any help answering any questions along with machine work or parts.

Thanks dude :cheers:

Back