• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Knuckle swap - Which rotors?

Jim311

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who have done the WJ knuckle swap and run high-steer, which rotors did you use? I've heard Explorer Sport Trac and 95 Crown Vic. I'd prefer not to have to redrill the WJ rotors and both of these seem really close in terms of dimensions. I heard the Sport Trac rotors had to be ground on the inside to fit around the hub, but supposedly you only need to grind a miniscule amount which isn't an issue to me. Is there a consensus, or maybe some part numbers I can use?

I picked up the Explorer rotors and I might try to use them, but I have to grind down either my unit bearing just a hair or the rotors themselves. The Crown Vics are supposedly a tad smaller, allowing 1/4" of overlap. These Explorer Sport Trac (2001-05 I think are the model years?) are BIG rotors when you compare them do the puny D30 rotors.. I was shocked. So if I can gain a quarter inch more braking surface I'm going to do it even if it means grinding a tad off my unit bearings. I wish I had a lathe to be able to turn the inner part of the rotor.. I might even just stick a die or angle grinder in there and clearance it, it just seemed like clearancing the hub itself would be easier so I think that may be the route I take. Let me know how those Vic rotors work and if there's much overlap. I could have just gone with the WJ rotors but I'd have to redrill them and clearancing the unit bearing just seemed easier.

Back