• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pinion Seal

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
I'm rebuilding a Dana 44 for the rear of my XJ and at the moment I'm stuck on how to get the pinion seal out! I've done a search and turned up nothing. I thought that if I stuck a screwdriver or a small pry bar in there and pried it out that it would be something really simple, but so far I've yet to get it budge.

Anybody got any suggestions short of a small charge of explosives!?

Robert

XJWheelie said:
I'm rebuilding a Dana 44 for the rear of my XJ and at the moment I'm stuck on how to get the pinion seal out! I've done a search and turned up nothing. I thought that if I stuck a screwdriver or a small pry bar in there and pried it out that it would be something really simple, but so far I've yet to get it budge.

Anybody got any suggestions short of a small charge of explosives!?

Robert
You're rebuilding the diff? Is the pinion gear out? If so, punch it out from the inside. That's how I did mine.

Thanks HodgePodge. I've successfully built a few differentials before, but that was a couple of decades ago when I worked as a mechanic. I never would have thought of using a chisel and a 5 pound hammer! I guess the old saying works, "all you need is a bigger hammer."

Robert

Back