• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CHRYCO 8 1/4 RING AND PINION UPGRADE

jack96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Alright this is actually my first post in the MOD TECH forum and I really dont have much experience with axles at all. From what i have read in CHilton and Haynes manuals as well as ALLDATA.com the swap of gears in the axle is pretty easy. I have made some assumption though: 1. When you change the tooth count on your ring gear a new pinion is needed. UH true or false? 2. If #1 is true than it is really only a couple hour job to get it done (2-3 hours). T or F? 3. Upgrading to 4.56 is good, true? or should/can I go larger with the Chryco 8.25? Any help on this one or am I gonna get a shotgun to the face for this post. Hey it has happened before and I aint afraid of it again. THANKS CAL!

Jack

Yes, ring and pinion gears are matched sets and should be replaced together.

4.56? I would personally go as low as possible, I think nitro gears has 4.88 for the 8.25. Although, gear ratios are always up for debate as to which is best for your situation.

Alright this is actually my first post in the MOD TECH forum and I really dont have much experience with axles at all. From what i have read in CHilton and Haynes manuals as well as ALLDATA.com the swap of gears in the axle is pretty easy. I have made some assumption though: 1. When you change the tooth count on your ring gear a new pinion is needed. UH true or false? 2. If #1 is true than it is really only a couple hour job to get it done (2-3 hours). T or F? 3. Upgrading to 4.56 is good, true? or should/can I go larger with the Chryco 8.25? Any help on this one or am I gonna get a shotgun to the face for this post. Hey it has happened before and I aint afraid of it again. THANKS CAL!

Jack

It is easy to do for a trained technician or mechanic. Proper Regearing requires you to shim the pinion and carrier and get the tolerances within a certain spec. If you don't do that say hello to another new set of gears.If you regear the rear axle you must regear the front as well or take off the front driveshaft and run it in 2wd only. What tire size do you plan on running? What are the specs on your Jeep that'll help us to help you! :cheers:

I really dont have much experience with axles at all. From what i have read in CHilton and Haynes manuals as well as ALLDATA.com the swap of gears in the axle is pretty easy.

Its not a job for beginners and you probably do not have tools needed.
Check with jeeperjohn. He has done a lot of gears for SoCal members and lives in in Temecula.

You will also need a special tool or make one to set the bearing preload on the 8.25. Depending on how much experience you have you could do it. However, it isn't to be taking lightly. I have still yet to do a set of gears because I know that it is quite involved.

Replacing the ring and pinion is a critical task if you want your gears to live a long and happy life. It takes about 4-6 hours on a 8.25 including replacing the bearings and seals. If you have a D30 up front you will be limited to 4:88 ratio. This ratio is good for 33's and 35's. It would be a bit steep for 31's. You will need the gears, full install kits and fluids. If you're interested in getting them done PM me. Thanks

Back