• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRE part# for flip?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
I'd like to ream the driver's side knuckle from the top, and put the tie rod on top of the knuckle. I've heard of using Chevy 1-ton TREs, but the size is different from my current tie rod. (BigDaddy) The Chevy TRE is a 7/8" thread, and the tie rod is 5/8". :(
Is there a heavy-duty TRE that can be installed from the top of a re-reamed knuckle that will fit a standard tie rod?
OR, is there enough steel in the knuckle to simply ream from the top and use a stock TRE?
FWIW, I currently run the Goferit bushing to put the TRE on top. It works fine, but I'm just not crazy about the TRE being held to the knuckle with a standard nut instead a castle nut. Yes, I used loctite!

When I moved mine over the knuckle, I used MOOG ES150 TRE's at all 4 locations on the steering. They are larger than the stockers, use a 7 degree tapered reamer, and use a 3/4" x 16 thread. This TRE is commonly found on 70-80's Chevy and Ford pickups and I have several buddies that build UROC buggies who use these TRE's for their steering, turning 37" Krawlers without failure so they are plenty beefy.

You may have to modify your BD tierod or just replace it with DOM and weld-in threaded inserts.
HTH

Anyone know of a TRE with a 5/8 shank and a larger taper?
I would be eternally grateful! :worship:

jmop said:
You could use the sleeves from OK4wd to flip your steering. Like those here

http://www.ok4wd.com/catalog.asp?cat=30
That looks like the ticket!
I like that system better than the Goferit, because you're still using the castle nut instead of a standard nut to hold the TRE. I don't like the fact that my saftey depends on loctite! A nice cotter pin would do wonders for my confidence.
Thanks for the link!
EDIT: Just talked to them and they said that this kit would not work for my year XJ?? :confused: Different taper?

Last edited:
Back