• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Now I am in trouble!

fishfighter

NAXJA Forum User
Please no I told you so's,but I am thinking on lifting my XJ higher,much higher.Been looking at long arm kits and thinking 8" or better.By doing this,everything will have to go.I had just installed a 3" RC kit,installed new 31x10.5 tires on the stock alum rims.

What would be the real needs for a kit of this size?I still have stock axles,this is a xj 1999 with auto tranie.

w/ an 8 inch lift you would probably want 35" tires w/ 35" tires you would probably kill your dana 35 and be buying axle shafts once a week and the list goes on

new axles, gears, id go with a tranny cooler cuz its just good to have. trust me once you get that big it gets expensive very quickly

zachxj01 said:
w/ an 8 inch lift you would probably want 35" tires w/ 35" tires you would probably kill your dana 35 and be buying axle shafts once a week and the list goes on

It should have a 29 spline 8.25. I personaly would have no probs running 35"s on it.

watch how much go-go juice you give it and learn to wheel without needing so much throttle and you will be fine. Been wheeling for 5 years on a d35 and never broke and axle yet. Seen others do it but they used to much gas!

bigjeepman said:
watch how much go-go juice you give it and learn to wheel without needing so much throttle and you will be fine. Been wheeling for 5 years on a d35 and never broke and axle yet. Seen others do it but they used to much gas!

I wouldnt bank much on a turdy five...

As for the lift part:
It gets really expensive really fast.. and unless you're going to run 37-39.5"s or so there isnt any reason to go w/ an 8" lift...

Im sitting at maybe 6.5" and run 36" Iroks...

You can probably do it cheaply if you plan for the XJ to be a mall crawler.. otherwise and if you're going to run larger tires, I'd look gearing, axles, steering, SYE/DS, on and on.....

What size tires did you have in mind?

Buddy's 8" lift w/ 33's

AdamJeep.jpg

BRIANHO13 said:
It should have a 29 spline 8.25. I personaly would have no probs running 35"s on it.

x2. Not likely to have a D35 unless it has ABS.

There is no need for 8" for anything less than 37". And if you plan to run a tire that large you will need an axle swap. If you just did your 3" and 31s wheel it atleast until the tires are bald, get a really good feel for your vehicle while you really plan out your future projects. Also it would be wise to invest some time and or money in body armor, Winch, and a rear locker.

Blaine B. said:
Ya really. You can go just about everywhere with 30's and a 2" BB.....31's and a 3" you're set to go!
i would have to agree even though i have 5in and 35s now i followed a bunch of buddies around badlands they where all locked and had 35s i was on 3in and 30s i followed them every where and never missed a lick. but no one likes to be the little guy on a trail ride.7.5 to 8 is in my future to just taking baby steps to get there.:rof:

I was at around 9" and had 34'' LTBs, I know most will say that is too high but i liked it and wheeled it hard every weekend. i was locked front and rear, but knew how to be moderate with the skinny pedal...
1414474443062347147S425x425Q85.jpg

1383528025062347147S425x425Q85.jpg

1414475617062347147S425x425Q85.jpg

bigjeep913 said:
I was at around 9" and had 34'' LTBs, I know most will say that is too high but i liked it and wheeled it hard every weekend. i was locked front and rear, but knew how to be moderate with the skinny pedal...
1414474443062347147S425x425Q85.jpg

1383528025062347147S425x425Q85.jpg

1414475617062347147S425x425Q85.jpg

Yeah that's entirely too high... looks really really floppy (especially on the LTBs)... but to each his own...

fishfighter said:
What would be the real needs for a kit of this size?

Maybe that was a freudian slip, but are you asking the needs FOR 8", or what you'll need WITH 8"?

I don't think anyone has a need FOR an 8" lift. Some like the big lift/small tire look, and that's cool. I prefer lower lift/big rubber, I'm at 5" and 35s. Like others have said, an XJ doesn't need 8" for anything short of 37-39s. And the amount of work to get 39s to work, you'd hardly have an XJ anymore, mechanically anyway.

But WITH 8", what they said: sye, driveshaft, longarms, axles, otk 1ton steering, and a second mortgage...

Robert

If you go high you are doing so to get big tires. If you are going to big tires you will need gears. But if you are running a D35 you'll want to do a new axle prior to gears. I know there are people that run that D35 forever and never have a problem, but for everyone that has no problems, there is someone who does. Do yourself a favor. Pick up a $300 D44. Put a $350 locker and some gears in it and the front diff and live happily ever after!

oh yeah, x3 on that second mortgage. Dude, keeping up with that lift and 37" and up tires will cost you a fortune.

I am thinking of just selling this XJ and try to find one that is a little bang up.That way I can do things to it without hurting anything.Anybody looking for a very clean 1999 XJ Sport that is loaded with everything that works?This one was never hurt or off road before.No rust anywere,even under it.When I change out the shocks,even those bolts came out easy.That should tell how clean this XJ is.

Getting back,what would be the best year XJ to buy for rigging it out for trails?I will start the hunt looking for the right one once I get some feed back on that.Thanks guys!

unless you like no up travel then ya a 37" tire will fit with 8" of lift.

i had a true 36" IROK with 8" of lift and had about 4" of up travel in the rear then would rub hard.i had the fenders trimmed as much as you could without having to cut and reweld anything.

this was on leafs
P72505_36.sized.jpg

had no problem stuffing it
129PG_5.sized.jpg

with coil overs i gave it an extra 1" i believe so it had 5" of up travel.the main thing in the pics is i went from bushwackers to Tj flares
PA110002.sized.jpg

with that added inch i finally had a bump stop to keep the tire from rubbing
B10_18_05_7.sized.jpg

i do agree with most everybody else you would also need axles,gears,longer driveline,slipyoke eliminator, and a wider stance to make the vehicle stable again with such a tall lift.

Back