• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone sell a vehicle on eBay?

Complex

NAXJA Forum User
I'd like to know a bit more about the whole process. I've got an ad on cars.com currently, and that's going decent.. but how successful are most eBay auctions? Anyone care to tell from experience, and care to give a bit more info?

IE - fees, payment methods I've read about, etc..

Yah, I did it once.

All in all, it worked OK.

You just put a description of the vehicle, include the VIN, and a picture or two.
Be explicid in your description of the product, and talk it up, but don't lie.
Be sure to set down explicidly what you expect from they buyer and what the buyer will expect from you, then live up to it.

Read the fine print in the agreement and the costs of doing buisness on EBay because they are the rules you will need to work with. If I remember right the costs of the ad slide with the selling price and and can be large, be sure you cover that with your selling price. EBay uses PayPal, infact IIRC EBay owns PayPal. You will want to set up an account that will allow you to receive payments and move them to your personal account.

If you plan on going the auction route, to protect yourself, set a fixed amount you will not sell below. If someone wants to go around the auction process, they do not recomend you deal with them because then the umbrella of protection for the seller and buyer enjoys disappears. Also, do not give out the minimum price. A few times I have come out much better from refusing these offers of "kindness"

What I did was set a minimum price I would not sell for, and also stipulated an amount down X number of hours after the auction with the balance being COD. That way they buyer was motivated to pick up the merchandise. If the buyer failed to honor the contract after the sale, and you file a grievance, and they find it valid, EBay then will allow you to repost at no charge.

I went through it in the fall

The total ad cost me around $60

There is a base fee of $40 I think it was and then you can pay more for better placement and bold print etc etc etc

You get a certain amount of pictures free, its low, then you have to pay to add extras per pictures, I think its worth it to add a lot and let them do the talking

You also obviously have to set your reserve price if you want one, and a "buy it now"

If you do it, like stated above, make sure you put down your EXACT TERMS of sale, when you request payment by, how you want the payment, shipping details, everything, and make it very clear, also make sure you put somewhere in the ad that the car has no warrenty and is being sold as-is

Check out other ads for wording of lines like that and for what other cars like yours are going for

It takes a decent amount of time to get the ad just right but it gets tons of exposure, worth it IMO

Lastly be skeptic, check feedback, don't get burned

I had a buy it now and some scammer clicked it and tried to pull the Nigerian scam on me, I recognized it immediatly but it still wasted my time and $$$ because once that is it the listing is ended, I was heated to say the least

Overall I think ebays great, if you aren't getting any bites go for it

Zuki-Ron said:
Yah, I did it once.

All in all, it worked OK.

You just put a description of the vehicle, include the VIN, and a picture or two.
Be explicid in your description of the product, and talk it up, but don't lie.
Be sure to set down explicidly what you expect from they buyer and what the buyer will expect from you, then live up to it.

Read the fine print in the agreement and the costs of doing buisness on EBay because they are the rules you will need to work with. If I remember right the costs of the ad slide with the selling price and and can be large, be sure you cover that with your selling price. EBay uses PayPal, infact IIRC EBay owns PayPal. You will want to set up an account that will allow you to receive payments and move them to your personal account.

If you plan on going the auction route, to protect yourself, set a fixed amount you will not sell below. If someone wants to go around the auction process, they do not recomend you deal with them because then the umbrella of protection for the seller and buyer enjoys disappears. Also, do not give out the minimum price. A few times I have come out much better from refusing these offers of "kindness"

What I did was set a minimum price I would not sell for, and also stipulated an amount down X number of hours after the auction with the balance being COD. That way they buyer was motivated to pick up the merchandise. If the buyer failed to honor the contract after the sale, and you file a grievance, and they find it valid, EBay then will allow you to repost at no charge.

That is pretty much it.

I did sell a car on e-bay to a gay in Boston. Everything went great. The best thing you can do is be honest.

Glen

Are there any benefits associated with being a power seller? I have a friend who has operated an ebay business for going on 2 or 3 years now, so his feedback is very good. I'm sure he wouldn't mind helping me out posting it since I really don't know the first thing about it. I see him nearly every day, so it shouldn't be a problem relaying information and such.

I'd just rather not have to post it with a brand new account.. no feedback etc.. Figure I might have a better chance if he helps me out.

Also, with paypal.. I forget. I have an account linked to my bank account, but does it cost anything to set it up so I can receive money or is that just an automatic thing? I remember reading somewhere that it was a different type of account if you wanted to receive funds.

Yeah...use your buddies account. Feedback matters. I have bought two xj's, two dirt bikes, one lexus, one pontiac sunfire, one dodge dakota, one firebird, one honda nighthawk, and probably something else I'm forgetting on Ebay. All sight unseen. I have also sold one XJ, one pontiac, 2 (different) dirtbikes, one firebird, etc. on ebay.

Basically...here is what I look for when shopping.

Pictures...and lots of them. I want pictures of the inside, outside, door panels, carpet, pedals, stereo, steering wheel, trunk, underhood, lights on, different angles, etc, etc, etc. You absolutely cant have too many.

I also want a good clear description. This includes grammar and spelling...if you can't spell, have someone help you. I won't even continue reading an ad if "radiator" is spelled with 3 R's and 2 I's. I want to know about every flaw, every paint chip, every stain, tell me about things that are "barely" visible in the pics. I want to know about its history, how long you've had it, mileage put on it by you, modifications (anything, no matter how simple), service records are nice also.

I judge a car based on the pictures...and in the 10+ vehicles I have bought on ebay...I only got one bad one (and that was because she lied about the title being in her name, what a nightmare).

Paypal is automatic, don't forget that the deposit should be refundable only if vehicle is not as described.

Back