• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire carrier piston

BigNuge

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I was wondering, anyone out there build their own swing out sore tire carrier and have any suggestions for a gas piston to help control the swing arm? The arm moves silky smooth, and extremely easy...almost too easy, so I have to guide it open so it doesn’t slam against the stop.

Any length and weight suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you use a small rear window strut - similar on size to what Jeep uses on the XK, ZJ, WJ, WJII rear opening hatch glass?

The struts are more like a spring than a dampener. They are to assist with the weight and are always trying to expand. If you were to use one of those it would want to push the tire carrier open and you would have to fight it in order to close the carrier.

That said, it might be interesting to see what a dead strut would do. I have no doubt someone around here has a dead hatch strut or two. If a dead strut would provide resistance both ways then it might be a solution.

You could mount it so the strut is pushing it closed vice open......

Would take come creativity, but it could be done.............

A steering dampener may do the trick. The old vw bugs had a neat little dampener, much much smaller than that on the XJ. they were about inch in diameter, with maybe a ten inch stroke or so.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/113425021.html

these work equally push or pull, and stay at rest were you leave them, i.e. not spring loaded

Great suggestion.

That looks like the right direction to go.

Back