• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone running fogs and driving lights?

ylojelo

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to figure out a good combination and remain (mostly) legal and fit on my stock bumper. Ive got hella 500 fogs I have yet to install, and was looking at piaa 540 driving lights. Hella ff50's were too deep. Any comments??

Is that a styrofoam cup on top of your rig?:arrowr: :roflmao:

no it's a GPS ant. the mount is for a boat now it only looks like a air freshner.

Consider instead of adding driving lights to swap your headlights to Hella E codes, the E codes only, not the cheaper ones, order them with bigger xeon white bulbs.
Just for laughs I put 4 CIBIE Super Oscars temporarily up on my roof rack, never do that again, lit up the inside of the XJ from all the reflected light off the hood, then when you turn them off for approaching vehicles you are nite blind. Too much... not mention that I swear the I heard the alternator groan.
I have been very happy with good quality headlights they really do make a difference, now if your goal is to just get as many lights up there as you can for the bling bling factor thats a different story.

I agree with RichP, kinda. I run the hella e-code headlights and they are a drastic improvement over stock. However, I feel they eliminate the need for fog lights not driving lights. The hella ecodes throw tons of even, wide angle foreground light in the low beam mode. As long as you keep them aimed right (or maybe even a hair low) they work great in fog. Their high beam pattern, while nice and wide also, lacks in long distance. I had been running PIAA 40 round driving lights (really good lamps for the money) w/100w bulbs and they threw fanatastic beams way up ahead of the range of my high beams.
Being a lighting junkie (I used to work as a grip in tv/film production), I just replaced those PIAA 40s w/ IPF 900MSRs w/130w bulbs. Wow. Sick amount of light. They didn't fit on the bumper without some custom brackets though.
Any driving lights will work well if you upgrade the bulb from 55 to 100w, but you should make a heavier guage wiring harness if you do that. Avoid pencil beam lights like some KCs or ProComps unless you live somewhere with flat straight roads that you drive 100mph on.

RichP, I've been drooling over Cibies for a long time. You wanna sell those SuperOscars?

-mike

I agree so much that I already have cibies, with the 55w standard HO bulbs from mr stern. I still have the stock harness. This set up is way better than stock. Can I run the bigger bulbs in that? I thought things would melt. and what brand of bulbs? Someone said the ran the piaa bulbs and they were so blue, it made seeing in the rain worse.

As for the aux lights, Its a mix of bling , love of light (Im a photographer), maybe I'm going night-blind, and the rolling country roads. can the relays in these light kits take higher bulbs?

Nope on the sale, got 2 7" rounds for when I get a round headlight jeep again too :D I"ve also been thinking about mounting them, the Supers, on either side of the A pillars, or if I ever get enough spare money for a good front bumper.

As for E codes eliminating the need for fogs, depends on where your fogs are mounted. Mine are in the 98's OEM spots, under the front bumper. When those fogs are on I can spot deer and other critters 2 and 4 legged, in the woods off to the sides. I use them 99% of the time in night driving now. Where I live in the poconos we get some really really bad fogs in valleys and even dips in the road so fogs are important to me. Fogs work the best when they are mounted as low as you can live with. The 550's were a shade too big and I buried them more than once off road into dirt banks, the 450's are smaller and don't hang down so far. I have more than once given consideration to picking up a set of those small Hella round ones, refractors I think they call them, and mounting them either in the bumper or in those end cap/bumperettes that the 97+'s have. That way there would be no hanging down, only have to worry about people who parallel park by 'feel' :mad:
When I bought the E codes I bought the suggested 55/65 halogens, upgraded to the whites, one white burned out after about 4 years so I stuck the originals back in, got another set of whites to stick in but have been too lazy to do it. The white xenons are so much better. Maybe this saturday when I do the big maintenance weekend, we've had 12 days of rain here and it has been a trial working on the YJ getting the stuff done that needed to be done.
As for wattage on the h4's, pretty much anything under a 100W is generally OK, clean the contacts in the headlight plugs and use some dielectric grease on them, not only keeps them from building up corrosion which also builds up resistance and makes the sockets hotter but makes them much easier to unplug when you need to replace bulbs.
Mr Stern seems to be the only one importing CIBIE's. They used to be as common as Hells'a back in the 70's and 80's. Quality wise they are a bit better than hella but not enough to justify the price difference in my book.

Last edited:
Back