• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intermittent Stalling

CODevilDog

NAXJA Member #1256
To start I have a 94 xj 4.0,Auto tranny

I was at the drive thru getting lunch and it stalled on me. I put it in park and started it and was fine until I put it in drive then it stalled again. Again I put in park and started the engine and no problem but as soon as it was in drive it stalled again. Repeated one last time this time giving it a good bit of gas while still in park put it in drive and was able to drive to work.

So my questions are, what might cause this? What may need replacing?
Any help or advice would be great.

The likely sources of the trouble are the IAC (Idle Air Control) on the side of the throttle body, and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) also on the side of the throttle body. If it idles OK, at more or less normal speed, then I would not suspect the TPS. The TPS also sends a signal to the auto tranny computer (AW4), so when it goes you may notice a change in the shifting. On mine, a faulty TPS has always produced a high idle (racing engine). Most likely: CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). These tend to give intermittent stalls when you go to accelerate off idle, or can go out with no warning. No CPS means no spark, no go. If it stalls and won't start, try disconnecting and reconnecting the CPS plug at the rear corner/drivers side of the engine, by the edge of the intake manifold. The wire leads down to the CPS on the bell housing. If this gets you going, then the CPS is faulty for sure. If the CPS is 100% toast, this won't help. Try searching CPS replacement, for some good info. My experience running the family collection of two 1990s and one 2001, all with 4.0 engine and auto tranny, has been three TPS, one IAC (not sure this was needed), and two CPS replacements. One CPS was giving intermittent stalling, the other was just high mileage.

Back