• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover question

JeepArg.

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I got my cylinder head repaired (gasket & seals+valves). In a matter of days, the valve cover became covered with oil coming from the filling hole and going towards the rear CCV fitting. I really don't know what is causing this because prior to the repair no oil was present there. I don't know how you call this problem (iven if it has name) but I'd like to hear a couple of ideas to check them or let me what words to serch. By the way, it is a 92 4.0 engine.
Thanks!

sounds like you need a new oil cap....

I have the same problem on my 1990, replaced the cap and it's still persists. Ended up "just getting used to it", and it doesn't push out enough oil to be a problem (the jeep drinks around 1 quart of oil per 3k change--not sure if it's from the oil coming from the valver cover or just regular use on an 18 year old vehicle).

Got a new engine(remanufactured) and a new cap and still have a little oil seepage from the oil fill hole. Just resigned myself that it is like my old Harley, just marking its spot.

I think you have to check your CCV. I fixed mine, with a bigger hose and a bigger nipple on the inletmanufold for better airflow. The 92 of mine. has after 200K miles a bypass flow by the cilinders, so the pressure is in the crankroom too high for the little standard hose.:wave1:

Last edited:
did you get a new or different valve cover? Also check the vacuum line to the valve cover and make sure its connected tight. The rubber connection to the CCV always hardens with age and breaks reducing suction and thus increasing crankcase pressure. Other than that I would buy a new cap which is pretty cheap and easy to find

if its an I-6(inline 6 cylender) then be prepared you'll get a ton of oil leaks.you gotta think of it like this. Its an inline 6 thats a lot of straight gasket there so yea it might leak a little around the valve cover gasket and yea the pcv valve wanna be thing will end up leaking just because of wear and old rubber.And yes if your runnig synthetic oil(generally thiner and a lot more liuqudy) then that will definatly show were your leaks are. But always look at the better of things. oil=rust protection(especially in RI)

I've got a new OEM valve cover and cap on my 92, still does that same thing. thats with a new CCV harness, and breather hose too,
The fill cap is probably not sealing tight enough, its leaking from oil splash. The two opposing teeth under the fill cap are likely to blame. Maybe a little light ball-peen hammering on the teeth to make them grab tighter under the valve cover would do the trick.

Back