• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96- no brake lights or turn signals

BAs96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have no brake lights or turn signals. I checked all the fuses and bulbs, replaced the turn signal flasher with no help. I did a search and think it might be the turn signal switch on the steering column. Do the brake lights go through that switch? I have tail lights and backup lights. I even disconnected my trailer harness to make sure there was no short. Advice? This is my DD and I don't need a ticket.

Thanks

BA

Just a thought, but I would find the brake wire, and apply power to it. Should be a white with tan stripe at the brake pedal switch. Its a positive trigger, which means apply positive power and the lights should come on. Before jumping it, Id check it with a meter, cause if you have power already, jumpering it will be pointless. If you DO have power there, check back at the light, if no power there, its somewhere in the power wire going back, if you have power its in the ground, assuming good bulbs. Be sure to check both sides, as the problem could be in between. Good luck, hope that helped.

a new multi-switch did not fix the problem. What would cause the flasher to buzz? I put a new one in and now when I turn on the turn signals the flasher relay buzzes instead of clicks. Turn signals and brake lights still don't work. Help '

BA

In case someone else has this problem, here was the solution. After hours of getting friendly with my multimeter I traced the problem to a corroded wire in the lower left hand corner of the wiring harness that goes through the firewall to the fuse box. It is located just below the brake booster. It was so bad that the wire broke off when I touched it. I took 20 minutes to fix but 6 hours to find. One other thing, Haynes wiring diagrams suck.

BA

Back