• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CCV valve cover elbow question

hightime81

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All!

on my 93' 4.0 XJ, there are two elbows on my valve cover.

the front elbow (as in closest to the radiator) is free-flowing, and is connected to rubber hose going into the airbox (just like every other stock early 4.0 HO engine).

the rear elbow is connected to smaller hard vacuum line and it is routed back into a port on the intake. this elbow is by-design restricted.

so I'm at my local Adv Auto talking to the parts jockey trying to find the rear elbow, (b/c i believe either the grommet is toast or there is a pinhole leak in the hard plastic somewhere causing an AWFUL whistle), and when he pulls up the part, it is the free flowing elbow and it says it is for the rear of the valve cover.

I ASSume that they just used a stock picture for both elbows, but wanted to check with you guys as well. the restricted elbow goes in the back of the valve cover, right?

thanks!

so I'm at my local Adv Auto talking to the parts jockey trying to find the rear elbow, (b/c i believe either the grommet is toast or there is a pinhole leak in the hard plastic somewhere causing an AWFUL whistle), and when he pulls up the part, it is the free flowing elbow and it says it is for the rear of the valve cover.

Yeah, I ran into the same thing on my 2000 a couple of weeks ago when I did the valve cover gasket. Summary: Advance (and Autozone) have it wrong.

I ASSume that they just used a stock picture for both elbows, but wanted to check with you guys as well. the restricted elbow goes in the back of the valve cover, right?

Correct.

FWIW, I ended up getting mine from the dealer - they had them in stock for about a buck more than Advance / Autozone / NAPA, all of whom didn't know exactly what they were ordering but would require four or five days to get it there.

Back