• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So I tried to buy a grizzly locker today

Evan03

NAXJA Forum User
Wanted to buy direct through yukon then found myself on the phone with Morris i said I didn't see a 27spline grizzly listed. Guys like we have those in stock.

Hour later right as im about to finalize on 4.88s and grizzly i verify 27 spline hes like no 30spline. No 27s in stock.

Ok im not hear to bitch about Morris but ****.

Maybe it was meant to make me cool it for a day or so. I did notice a few local shops sell yukon products like autozone wtf. Lol

Any thing I should steer clear of when doing this. I don't really want to spend 600 on a locker but itl be a worth while investment giving me a place to bolt the 4.88 gear.

Now instead of a full yukon gear set i think im thinking to go cheap on gears still get the grizzly.

What brands to stay away from, some gear sets front and rear are 350.
Yukon is gona double that.

I'll probly pick up a 20ton harbor freight press tomorrow on lunch or something

If anyone's wondering im doing this because im ready to move on to other projects. Going 1tons starts this goat rope all over at square one again.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So I found USA Standerd Gear.
Suposebly yukons not as good line but still plenty good.

I started with standard gears. The rear 456 and ARB are doing great. The front was doing great until somehow fins made my roll pin spit out of the carrier, but otherwise the gears were fine. No wine. I ordered through Rawkhaus originally and that guy explained that USA standard and Yukon are only separated by the warranty duration. I also run rear Yukon shafts but after seeing said products, I don't think there's anything special from the quality control vs standards that Ive seen.

I tried my hand at regearing the front with motive gear and so far its been great. No wine or brake issues. I did think the initial break in had a darker oil change on the motives, but thats just more of a phosphate coating.
Ide buy either brand without hesitation.

Im now of the opinion to buy the best deal you can on gears.

Though you didnt ask, I always wondered if it would be worth cryo treating gears. Might make you not worry about what company you choose as much.

Usa standerd gears are enroute.
There is local place that does alot of freezing rifle barrels. I did think about it for a split second .

Im reading on setting pinion depths. Pretty my brains fried

Get the gears cryo’d.
Yukon has very good instructions include with their Yukon gears. They’re available online. Pinion going deeper means pinion towards the carrier/locker/ring gear. Shallow means towards the yoke/engine/driver’s seat.

Thanks for the advice.
Getting gears lockers and Christmas along with some unexpected bills means im not getting the freezer and may not eat for a few weeks.
But ill have heat in the garage and gears to dink with

Thanks for the advice.
Getting gears lockers and Christmas along with some unexpected bills means im not getting the freezer and may not eat for a few weeks.
But ill have heat in the garage and gears to dink with

Heat in the garage?

Santa bringing you coal for Christmas? :D:D

That's what I tell The Varmints they are getting. More than once a bag of mesquite has shown up under the tree. Somehow I always end up with it.

Santa appears to be bringing gears. Looks like grizzly was left behind. It won't be a bad Christmas. Ive been lucky to stay busy and essential through all this madness

Gears are doing well. Getting close to 300 miles ill do a fluid dump and check things out.

Theyre quite and don't make much over 89deg Temps.

I have no idea how much heat axles make. I did notice the 8.25 is running about 15deg warmer than the front.

My pickup may be on the chopping block for 410s well one 410 d60. If I can find a disc brake dana 70 ill do that and set up the front to match.

Fun stuff

Back