• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK D44

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Is the carrier break different to the older d44? There is a front D44 for sale but it have 3.73 gears. If the carrier cannot accommodate 4.10, I will let it pass.

That is what I find but,...there is some discussion on forums that seem to indicate otherwise.

I do not know for sure if the JK Rubicon is different. It will be nice to have an OEM locker in the front but I do not want to invest in gears, carrier, truss and brakes before it could fit under the XJ. I will wait for another one to come up.

Thanks.

It will accept 4.10 with that carrier.

That is very interesting.

I am not doubting you,... I keep hearing yes, no, yes, no. I was thinking of going to talk with someone who actually work on the JK front D44. The seller is 100% certain the carrier with 3.73 would accept 4.10 to match what is in the rear of my XJ.

Thank you.

OK! Here is what I have learned. I called several places that do regear of the Rubicon axle and told them what I have and what I am trying to accomplish. They all tell me it is not necessary to change the carrier.

Yes. I told them the axle have 3.73 now and I wans to go the 4.56 . They assured me no carrier change is necessary. To quote, "There is no need to get rid of a perfectly good locker. All that you need are the gears, bearings and seals".

Now, I will try to get a good deal on that front 44 that is up for sale.

The carriers are different (larger bearings and ring gear) than earlier models, but the break is the same. (3.73 and up).

The carriers are different (larger bearings and ring gear) than earlier models, but the break is the same. (3.73 and up).

That is basically my opinion. Yes, opening a used axle to regear and not replacing the bearings could be like shooting your self in the foot,...so yes, I will get all bearings and seals to fit that particular axle.

Thanks to all for their input. I will try to get my hands on the axle this weekend.

Back