• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Insurance Company Vs My Title

LadyCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I do understand the value hit a salvage title holds, but if I'm keeping the vehicle and repairing it, what will that do to insurability and long term value if I'm in an accident?:helpme:

Re-sale value takes a hit. I don't know about insurance, only carry the minimums myself. What year XJ are we talking?

We can always ask a Mod to move the thread...but where? Insurance is governed at the state level, but the OEM forum sure has traffic. LOL

Some insurance companies will not give you a comprehensive policy on a salvage vehicle, but I've never had a problem getting liability on one.

The biggest issue with a 'branded' vehicle that I've found is that it is a royal PITA to do all of the necessary paperwork to sell it. When I bought my salvage 83 yota pickup, I had to get a copy of the DOR records from Denver before I could do the 8 pages of forms required to sell/buy it.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF said:
Some insurance companies will not give you a comprehensive policy on a salvage vehicle, but I've never had a problem getting liability on one.

The biggest issue with a 'branded' vehicle that I've found is that it is a royal PITA to do all of the necessary paperwork to sell it. When I bought my salvage 83 yota pickup, I had to get a copy of the DOR records from Denver before I could do the 8 pages of forms required to sell/buy it.

Later,
Joe
it's not terrible.

go to the local motor vehicle office and get the paperwork, since the car has a 'salvage' title it needs to be inspected before it can be registerred and given a 'rebuilt from salvage' title. I've done it, and it's not a terrible process at all but there's only one lady here at the highway patrol office that does the inspections so you have to wait awhile, once registerred and titled as rebuilt it sells and transfers like every other vehicle.
Anyway, fill out about 4 forms, pay something like 25 bucks for the inspection and you're golden.

Frank Z said:
Wrong Forum....you're in the Wanted/For Sale area

:eyes:

Philip_g: it's a big pain in the butt. especially when you live in the springs and have to drive to loveland to get paperwork done there before you can even think about getting a temp tag in the springs. I was there and it sucked. but I'm glad that you had luck with yours. not all are that lucky.

Wrench Wench said:
Philip_g: it's a big pain in the butt. especially when you live in the springs and have to drive to loveland to get paperwork done there before you can even think about getting a temp tag in the springs. I was there and it sucked. but I'm glad that you had luck with yours. not all are that lucky.
why did you drive to loveland? the highway patrol does the inspections and they did mine right here in castle rock.

Ok, here's the whole story behind the Toyota...

I bought it from a guy in Loveland who bought it from a tow yard. They did all the paperwork to get the title, but when they submitted it, it came back as salvage so the state wanted a DOR record check to find out why it was salvage.

The tow yard and the seller had no idea how to do all the proper paperwork so I told him to knock a hundred dollars off the price, give me all the paperwork and a vehicle POA to do the paperwork in his name and I'd take care of it.

So I did the DOR record check, it came back as being sold at Klode's 5 years ago and it had been totalled for a fender bender.

Next I did all the paperwork required to get the title in the seller's name, bill of sale, title transfer form, copy of the DOR report, three copies of the Rebuilt from Salvage disclosure form and the towing company's paperwork. I took it to the El Paso County CAR office and they told me that I had to go to Loveland (Weld County I think) CAR office since the buyer lived in Loveland, not El Paso County. So I drove to Loveland to do the paperwork, got the title in the seller's name... and had to drive back to El Paso County to get the temp tag so I could drive the truck since the title had to go to Denver for a records/paperwork examination to ensure it was done correctly before they would mail me the title so I could transfer it to me. It was a HUGE pain to get it all done.

The paperwork required to sell a salvage titled vehicle is more than a normal sale. Here is the list of requirements:

2.0 Requirements

2.1 The application for a Salvage Certificate of Title shall include disclosure of the type of damage (excluding hail damage) resulting in salvage. In the case of an application for salvage title due to vehicle abandonment at a repair shop, the application shall denote that the reason for salvage is “vehicle abandoned at a repair shop” . Eff 10/01/2006

2.2 A copy of the appropriate form, as designated by the Division of Motor Vehicles , shall accompany any title application for a motor vehicle known to be previously declared a salvage motor vehicle. “ REBUILT FROM SALVAGE” indicates the motor vehicle is now roadworthy as defined in section 42-6-102 (15), C.R.S. Eff 10/01/2006

2.3 The application for a certificate of title for a salvage motor vehicle which has been made roadworthy from salvage as provided in section 42-6-116, C.R.S., shall be accompanied by a certified vehicle identification number inspection (form DR 2704) and an affidavit from the owner, which includes but is not limited to: Eff 10/01/2006

A. Description of repairs to the salvage motor vehicle including what work was completed to repair the motor vehicle; Eff 10/01/2006

B. What parts were used to repair the salvage motor vehicle; Eff 10/01/2006

C. Where the parts were obtained, and who made the repairs; Eff 10/01/2006

D. Certification by the owner that the salvage motor vehicle described in the affidavit is now roadworthy as provided in section 42-6-102 (11) C.R.S.; and, Eff 10/01/2006

E. The specific information required in 3 A., B., C. and D. is not required in the event that the salvage title was issued due to vehicle abandonment at a repair shop. In this case, the affidavit required in 3 A. must state that the reason for salvage is “vehicle abandoned at a repair shop and no repairs have been made” . Eff 10/01/2006

F. Prior to the inspection of the vehicle the applicant shall stamp a salvage brand into the motor vehicle using the words “REBUILT FROM SALVAGE ” .Each letter must be at least one-fourth inch in size and stamped in the following locations for each vehicle type: Eff 10/01/2006

- Motorcycle – on the frame in a visible location Eff 10/01/2006

- Manufactured Home – main entrance door jamb Eff 10/01/2006

- Trailer – adjacent to public VIN Eff 10/01/2006

- All other Motor Vehicles – on the Driver’s B Pillar post Eff 10/01/2006

G. Verification by a Certified VIN Inspector that said inspector personally examined the salvage motor vehicle including the salvage brand and reviewed the affidavit from the owner and any receipts and/or invoices for parts used in the repair of the salvage motor vehicle. The Certified VIN Inspector shall not complete the inspection unless the salvage brand required by section 42-6-136 (3) (b) (II), C.R.S., is stamped into the vehicle. Eff 10/01/2006

2.4 The owner of a salvage motor vehicle may make application for a salvage certificate of title before the sale or transfer of such motor vehicle. All subsequent purchasers or transferees of a salvage vehicle, other than transactions that are not subject to taxation pursuant to section 39-26-104, C.R.S., must obtain a salvage certificate of title in the owner's name within 45 days from the date of purchase or transfer. If an insurance company acquires a motor vehicle that has been defined as salvage’ in accordance with section 42-6-102 (13), C.R.S., the insurance company must apply for a salvage certificate of title in accordance with section 42-6-136 (2), C.R.S. before transferring ownership of the vehicle. If the owner retains a motor vehicle upon settlement of a claim with an insurance company, and the vehicle has been defined as "salvage" in accordance with section 42-6-102(13), C.R.S., the owner must apply for a salvage certificate of title in their name. If a Repair Shop acquires a vehicle through the Repair Shop Abandonment process and the vehicle is less than six model years and appraised for more than $200.00 , the purchaser of the vehicle must apply for a salvage certificate of title in accordance with section 42-4-2104.5 (4)(e)(III), C.R.S. Eff 10/01/2006

Back