• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash lights stopped working

Fishfinder

NAXJA Forum User
94 XJ. My dash lights quit working, the fuse has been checked and changed but still no dash lights. Does anybody have any ideas before I tear my Dash apart? TIA.

If the fuse has power, you're probably going to have to go into the dash. I know the headlamp switch tends to be a weak link but the dash connectors may also be a problem.

Does the heater light up? If so it would be in the instrument cluster as opposed to the headlamp switch.
Hth

First off check that your parking lights are working. On many early models of the XJ the park lights fuse and the instrument lights fuse are wired in series. The parking light fuse goes out and so does the instrument lights.

The dimmer part of the headlight switch has always been a weak point. When it fails it can also overheat the headlight switch and melt the connector.

I got really tired of swapping out aftermarket headlight switches. The OEM switch sucks, the aftermarket switch sucks worse. I jumped my instrument lights to full bright, bypassing the dimmer, never had another failure.

Well I changed out the headlight switch with a known for a fact working headlight switch and no go. Turn signal indicator lights work, parking lights work, it is just the console and the dash lights that do not work. All the fuses have been tested with an OHM meter. Is there by chance a fuse in the cluster itself? I have searched for any burnt connectors and all of them look to have no problem. Is there possibly a fuse under the hood in the fuse panel, all of those have been tested as well.

Back