• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any clock spring?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
99 xj auto With cruise. Reading on the forums ive gathered i need to find a clock spring that hosts cruise control option if i want to retain mine.

However what i would like to know is if there is any specific brand/specific replacement i should look for or will any match off amazon work?

many including myself have used Dorman with success, plus it has a lifetime warranty
My Jeep 99, also had cruise but never used cruise, so I put on a clockspring with no cruise and saved about $50 on the part

I got lucky and grabbed mine at a JY for a few bucks. I will have to double check that I have the rotation centered before I install it.

If you buy the Dorman's they come pre-centered with a tab holding it in the correct position, and when you are done with the installation you pull out the tab from the clockspring before you put the streering wheel back on.
Make sure your front wheels are straight before you start the removal/install
from amazon review "you have to pull black plastic tab out after you have part on steering shaft and located..at top center is the plastic pull tab,,
you have to yank on it pretty hard to pull out..it is a locking retainer for spring until part is installed."

As far as a used one I saw a link at Jeepforums: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/98-cherokee-clock-spring-replacement-1002062/#post9189097
ADJUSTMENTS
CLOCKSPRING CENTERING
If the rotating tape within the clockspring is not positioned properly in relation to the steering wheel and the front wheels, the clockspring may fail during use. The clockspring must be centered if it is not known to be properly positioned, or if the front wheels were moved from the straight-ahead position with the clockspring removed during any service procedure.
WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TEN MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
(1) Turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position before starting the centering procedure.
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag has not been deployed, wait ten minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
(3) Remove the airbag module as described in this group.
(4) If the vehicle is equipped with the optional vehicle speed control, unplug the speed control switch wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
(5) Remove the nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft.
(6) Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428B).
(7) Rotate the clockspring rotor clockwise to the end of its travel (Fig. 14). Do not apply excessive torque.
(8) From the end of the clockwise travel, rotate the rotor about two and one-half turns counterclockwise, until the rotor flats are horizontal. If the clockspring wire harness is not at the bottom, rotate another one-half turn.
(9) The front wheels should still be in the straightahead position. Install the steering wheel being certain to fit the flats on the hub of the steering wheel onto the formations on the inside of the clockspring. Pull the wire harness from the clockspring through the lower hole in the steering wheel hub. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.). Be certain not to pinch any of the wiring between the steering wheel and the nut.
(10) Install the airbag module as described in this group

Last edited:
how do you center a used clock spring?
Very carefully rotate it lock to lock counting the rotations. Back to center half of the turns. Center wheel as mentioned and install.

If pulling a used one from a JY center the wheel before removing, masking tape it when its out so it won't move. Sometimes you can't center the donor wheel with any certainty.

I just installed cruise control in my '00 that did not come with it. Used all boneyard and Craigslist part out parts. I purchased 3 units because I kept on coming across them and got them cheap. 2 I pulled the whole steering column. One was just the necessary pieces. Like an idiot I did not realize at the time about steering wheels being straight and clock spring positioning. Had the parts for quite sometime and fortunately when I got around to the install realized my mistake. I have a 2001 Jeep Service Manual. A real one. They describe the clock spring centering procedure posted above. I did it and all seems OK. Started the Jeep from the passenger side. Airbag did not deploy, airbag light did go off, and the horn works. Turned the wheel lock to lock and took a road trip. Everything works as it should. I am guessing I would have a problem if I screwed up doing the re-centering procedure.

dorman 525-118 without cruise or
DORMAN 525-109 with cruise

I'm in a similar boat. Have a 97, I want to keep Cruise.

The part 525-109 is listed on Dorman's site as only being for Wranglers. Is this not correct?

You may try cross checking schematics on a Chrysler direct parts supplier for OEM part numbers. If they are the same it should show up there.

Hmm .. I think you can easily find something suitable for Amazon, but I do not recommend that you buy something very cheap. Better to get the part you need, but pay a little more, than look for a replacement again after a few thousand miles ... By the way, what about auto mechanics? They also have a lot of useful things, and maybe they can give you advice that you did not think about before. For example, when I had a similar problem, I was already ready to spend a huge amount of money to replace the entire cruise control, since many said that it was not repairable. One friend advised me of his friend, an auto mechanic, who ended up simply replacing the capacitor with a new one from https://www.hv-caps.com/products/HVC-Capacitor-Screw-Terminal-Mounting.html, as well as a few more details. It cost me about $ 100, but everything works fine ...

Back