• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights and heater cores

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
All summer I have known about needing to replace the heater core in my 1994 XJ. I'm dreading that job as everything I have read requires a lot of component removal (dropping the column, removing the dash, disconnecting the A/C, etc.). I never use the air even though the system is pressurized. I'm thinking of just removing all the A/C stuff altogether.

Today I had a headlight out and I stopped to buy a replacement that barely puts out enough light. Josh @ O'Reilly showed me a set of LED headlights and made me a deal. Now to see how much better I can see on the way home.

Last edited:
I like my new headlights! They are much brighter that the old stock stuff. Mark and I adjusted them a bit before my trip home and no one "bright-lighted" me so that is good. I may still have them aimed a bit low but they work good.

I'm not sure on the earlier ones, but on late models i've been able to get the dash out without having to remove the column. Lowering it to it's lowest setting was just enough.

The dash also comes out, for the most part, in one large piece. The hardest part is finding all the little screws that hold it to the firewall, and unplugging everything underneath.

Yeah, and it's going to be even more fun with my big, fat hands....LOL.

Last time I removed the dash in my old xj I didn't have to remove the column just unbolted it from the dash and let it hang down on the seat. UNCC's right the hardest part is finding all the plugs and disconnecting them as well as splitting the through firewall fuse block. Besides that you just have to discharge the a/c and drain the coolant from the heater core to remove the hvac box.

As a side note what led lights did you go with from oreilly's?

I know but considering I needed a battery, starter and a set of plugs for my regular vehicle maintenance, they just weren't in the cards right now. I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

For my 1994, they list an aluminum and a copper/brass heater core. The copper/brass is actually cheaper. Is there a benefit to going with one over the other?

It looks like I'm buying another battery, this time for the 1994. I got 5 years out of a 500 cca battery.

It looks like I'll be getting ready to replace my heater core soon. It's starting to get cool out at night and I need to be able to defrost the windshield and interior glass. It's marginal at best now.

I found RockAuto has great prices on either an aluminum or copper/brass heater core. I think I'm going with the copper/brass one made by APDI/PRO For $36.

The AC system is still sealed but doesn't blow cold. I never use the AC. Since I have to open the AC system up, would it be worth reconnecting it? I don't use it but are their any benefits to having it functioning?

I have thought about deleting everything with the AC system to clean up the engine compartment. I would just use a delete pulley in place of the AC compressor. It just seems like the added expense of recharging the system just isn't worth it.

What do you guys think?

If you don't use it, I see no reason to put it back together after you drain it. KP helped me with my heater core in my '01, and like Tim said in earlier posts, we didn't remove the dashboard. I remember dropping the column as low as it would go and removing the pax side seat so we had more room to work.

One thing we went to the store for was weatherstripping for house doors. We reused the heater box, of course, but the foam seals on that box had decayed to the point we couldn't reuse most of it. Weatherstripping was the closest approximation we could find to what Jeep used OEM, and it was readily available.

Are you going to have a wrenchfest one of these weekends?

I think it would be fun to do one since they were always a lot of fun and we always got a lot of stuff done. Plus we ate good too. Jack is playing football and it absorbs a ton of my time right now.

It's looking like he won't play Jr Pro basketball and Olivia isn't playing basketball anymore so things may free up in mid-November. I really need to get the heater core done before that though.

I've always seen everyone take the dash loose so it could be pulled back enough to pull the heater HVAC box out. Did you have to undo the dash so it could be maneuvered around?

Yes, we pulled the dash loose.

I'd be up for a Wrenchfest. Love having a bunch of guys together tinkering on 3 or 4 Jeeps in a day.

If you have not done it already.... Remove two bolts on column and drop it down. Loosen the side brace for the column or remove it. I usually remove it. Take the defrost vent out and remove the 4 I think it is bolts up top. There are two bolts on each side of the dash. Unplug and remove the fuse panel and all connectors and the whole dash comes right out. Of course it's been a few years since I did one.... I could have missed a few things..... :gee:

That just sounds way too easy...………

I've got to get this done soon.

Set up a wrenchin' day. I'll bring my XJ and after we get your heater core done, we can get the porta-puller out and see if we can get my a-pillar out another 1/2 inch so it'll take a windshield. Just pick a day that I don't have the kids!

I'm looking at mid-November before I don't have any "planned" weekends. We'll see.

Keep us updated. I'm sure there are guys out there that would love to work and hang out.

Back