• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does everyone with out bead locks air down too?

Northern Pride

NAXJA Forum User
I have the Mickey Thompson classic lock 15x8 chrome wheels with 35" 12.50X15 procomp tires. I have yet to air these bad boys down at all.

I was thinking I could probably go down to between 10 and 12 pounds without running the risk of them coming off the rim? I have had these tires on for just over a year, so there well broken in!

To those who have done this, what are your thoughts?

I will be going to the mohawk madness event Saturday and plan on running the tougher trails, so I might want to air down if there are ledges and what not.

Thx...
NP

I air down to 15-20 psi. I know this is kind of high, but I don't want to be swapping tires on the trail. This works for me, but I may end up going lower in the future.
Question: Does lower pressure affect smaller tires more, or larger, or are they the same?

I have 33-12.5's on 8" wheels. I air down to 10 in the front, 9 in the rear depending on the trail I'm on. Haven't lost a bead yet, but carry starter fluid to reset the bead just in case the spare is in use already.

Starboard M said:
I air down to 15-20 psi. I know this is kind of high, but I don't want to be swapping tires on the trail. This works for me, but I may end up going lower in the future.
Question: Does lower pressure affect smaller tires more, or larger, or are they the same?
Yes it does, the bigger the tire the less pressure it needs to support the load.

I run 35X12.50X15 X-Terrains on a 10 inch wheel and I have never had a tire come off the rim running 11 pounds. I know it could happen but it hasnt yet and I have had them up against some pretty rough stuff

31x10.50x15 on a 15x8 and i usually run 15psi, i would like to run a little lower, but it works good and i dont really have to worry about loosing a bead.

I also run 31”x10.5” on 15”, but at 20 psi. It’s probably a little high, but I don’t really feel like reseating a bead on the trail. I’ve done it before and it sucks.

DrMoab said:
I run 35X12.50X15 X-Terrains on a 10 inch wheel and I have never had a tire come off the rim running 11 pounds. I know it could happen but it hasnt yet and I have had them up against some pretty rough stuff
Wow that's low! I should have no problem with the 8" wheel then. I got the 8" rims thinking if I air them down being a 15 inch wide tire on 8" rims it should hold very well even if there not bead locks.

I think I will air down too at least 10 pounds then.

Thx to all for the input!

9-12 depending on conditions.

Only burped it once and that was in the dark@12psi.

33x12.5 on 8" wheels

Goodyear MTRs, 35". I run then down to 6psi on 15x10s and have never popped a bead.

with my 35x12.5r15 MTR on 15x8 rims I normally drop it down to 10 Psi in the rocks... mild trail with no serious rock crawlin I usually just go to 15.

hey hey i'll see ya up there anywhoo back to your question my friend has 33x12.5 on 15x10 and while going thru some mud he got a little sideways and poped a beed that was at 15psi sure it was dumb luck but it happens on my 31's on a stock rim i would air to about 16 just to be safe i now have 33x13.5 ltb's on a 15x8 and will prob be running between 12-15 not sure yet first trip with them but i have oba so if you air down too much and want to go up a few pounds it no prob on the trail :)

i run 33x12.50x15 MT/Rs on 15x8 wheels.. i started running at 18 and each time i would go down 2 psi or so to see how it would act.. i got down to 8 psi and rolled a bead on the 1/2 mile trip to the florida Rd trailhead... luckily it reseated itself and held some air... so i stick with 12psi.... it seems that the guys running the stiffer interco tires can go alot lower....

i'll be seeing you guys tommorow up at the "Madness" .....

Back