• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatch Strut Pivot Point

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi...

My recently purchased 1990 Cherokee has a wobbly ball pivot point for the hatch list strut, this is the ball pivot point that is screwed into the body inside near the roof to hold the lift strut.

I assume there is a captive nut behind the panel that has broken off the body. I can turn the ball, but it wont screw in tight, evidence the nut behind it is spinning.

Has anyone here done this repair before?

Thanks!

I’d be inclined to try to solidify it with JB Weld and hold it in place. Not sure how you’d get to the nut behind it.

I have done this repair many years ago on two Jeeps. Don’t remember all details but if you remove the plastic trim in that roof corner, there is just enough room to slip a wrench inside the pillar. Wasn’t easy and I think I used a short wrench and maybe it was taped to a piece of stiff wire (like coat hanger) to position the wrench on the nut. Be creative. Add some Loctite before tightening.

Back