• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring Multiple Relays to Lights

the_mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am working on wiring up a few center console switches to some lights on the front and rear of my '95 XJ. My plan is for the ones on the rear to be triggered by both the back-up light circuit, as well as a toggle switch in the center console. I will be using two relays wired like shown in the picture here (try not to judge my diagramming skills too harshly :) lol): https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxf15p37nndmbk5/Back-up%20Light%20Relays.JPG?dl=0.

Based on my understanding of relays, it should not matter if one relay is getting power when inactive (i.e. lights active by toggle switch while B/U light circuit is not active). I am not very confident in my electrical prowess so I am hoping someone can confirm or deny my assumption here.

I am also looking to make one of the switches in the console turn on all of my lights as a "Zombie Lights" option. No reason for this, just for fun and to fill the extra switch hole lol Does anyone have some insight on how to best handle that? My original thought was an extra relay which goes to all lights but I feel like I might get some cross-feeding if I go that route.

Worth noting: inputs from the battery will definitely be fused.

why not just use one relay and put a diode on the B/U light circuit connection to terminal 86 so that it doesn't get backfed by the toggle switch?

I'm assuming these lights will be down low? If they're on a roof basket or something I'm guessing you might get some disapproving looks from the local authorities.

why not just use one relay and put a diode on the B/U light circuit connection to terminal 86 so that it doesn't get backfed by the toggle switch?

I'm assuming these lights will be down low? If they're on a roof basket or something I'm guessing you might get some disapproving looks from the local authorities.

I was going to try to avoid putting in diodes for simplicity's sake (in my mind).
But...as I am looking at this more and looking at the "Zombie Lights" wiring, the diodes may be simpler after all.

Yeah, they are mounted on the rear bumper.

Back