• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper install

Dadselyk

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I’m putting on a new rear bumper. It has the nutstrips (and that part I have all figured out). My question is on the other 8 bolts that hold the bumper on. I took these out, and the nuts seem to be attached to the frame. The new bolts are larger diameter. What do people normally do...drill them out..., or knock the attached nuts out somehow from the back? Anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Is this a aftermarket bumper? Who's?

Hardcore offroad rear bumper with tire carrier. No instructions included.
I can re use the old bolts...but just not as beefy. Also, I haven’t checked, but the hole in the bumper for the bolt may be a little bigger. Yes I can use washers I guess...

Thanks. I think that’s what I’ll do. Someone else told me
To put the original bolt partway back in, then hit it with a hammer
To knock the tack welded nut out.

Take some pics, I'm curious what their mounting system looks like.

Personally I would drill the 2 on the inside of the frame big enough to get the larger bolt and then use a nut -- these are the ones you can actually access and tighten a nut

The 2 on the outside of the frame rail I would use the original bumper bolt -- it's 10mm with a 1.5 thread pitch -- these aren't easily accessible with the leaf spring shackles in the way

Hardcore offroad rear bumper with tire carrier. No instructions included.
I can re use the old bolts...but just not as beefy. Also, I haven’t checked, but the hole in the bumper for the bolt may be a little bigger. Yes I can use washers I guess...

I'd call them and ask what the bolts were for.

I twisted off the factory-tacked-on nuts from the front of the crossmember with a wrench and with the leafs dropped out of the way. It wasn't difficult to do, though on a couple the sheet metal deformed a bit before the tack welds broke. Not a big deal. The new through bolts and washers tightened everything back into its original shape.

Back