NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 4th, 2021, 23:09
NAXJA Forum User

Re: WJ Knuckle swap and wheel fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxfan212 View Post
I plan to run modified stock WJ TRE's (Cut, sleeved, welded). It's going to be a road truck, stock height, etc.
This is interesting, so if Im reading you right, your going to do something like the one ton TRE set up without out one ton rod ends?
Old January 5th, 2021, 23:19
NAXJA Forum User

More like use the WJ TREs for at least the lower TREs connecting the two knuckles together, and either cut and tap the sleeve to the correct length or cut, insert DOM sleeve, and weld the sleeve back together to the correct length. For the drag link I am not quite sure what I would do but it would likely be something similar. However, looking at the setup I am thinking I will have to use an offset TRE at the passenger side knuckle where the drag link connects.

All of this is theoretical though. I am not willing to use anything other than Eliminator specific wheels on the truck. If I can't get the Akebono's to fit with light grinding I will see if I can source some teves calipers. If I can't get those to fit I am SOL and will have to come up with something different or live with stock brakes on a 31" or smaller tire (w dual diaphragm brake booster, SS lines, good pads, and ZJ rear brakes).
Old January 6th, 2021, 05:27
NAXJA Member

I did look into using the WJ steering components at one point. I did have the parts in hand. I look at WJ boards. Some of them were having issues with the stock components breaking near the TREs. I went with the Ruff Stuff 1-ton Chevy on my first one. I pieced together the same setup on another. DOM tubing not cheap. I also run OTK trackbars on both.

Some did use the stock WJ stuff on a build. I saw it in the last year or so.

Also, as for rims, I did change over to a WJ hub bearing unit to use the WJ rims. I used adapter spacers on the rear. I have a plan to delete those. Other projects keep getting in the way.
Old January 7th, 2021, 09:58
NAXJA Forum User

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/ sells .188 wall 1.25 OD DOM which comes out to .874 ID. This is only .010 undersized for 24.5 x 1.5 mm thread for the WJ TREs. 5 feet was $55 (picked up) and just enough for a tie rod and drag link.

When sourcing calipers NAPA offered both Akebono and teves.
Old January 7th, 2021, 10:28
SoCal_XJ FB

I have been running WJ Akebono with Mickey Thompson Sidebiter 15x8's. They are 3.625 backspacing. I did have to shave off about 1/16" on just the outside of calipers.