NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 6th, 2019, 09:48
NAXJA Member

Re: Dirtbound Tire carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhead View Post
Wondering why you have 2 arms/carriers? as opposed to the stock pic. Older style that had a can option?
It was a custom order. I am planning to put a ladder with bike mounts and can mounts on the passenger side
Old August 20th, 2019, 14:15
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I have one, love it except the hinge end of the carrier is weak and the whole arm sags over time due to twisting of the end. If it could be supported at the clasp end better it would be fine. I am planning to do some delrin and steel, one day. Just irritating. Otherwise I love it, mounts are strong, excellent clearance,
Wondering if the brass bearings are worn out on that side. If you would like to send me a pm with your mailing address I can get another set sent out.

Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Bumpers, Sliders, Armor & Accessories.
Proudly Made in the USA
Old January 5th, 2021, 09:56
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I have one, love it except the hinge end of the carrier is weak and the whole arm sags over time due to twisting of the end. If it could be supported at the clasp end better it would be fine. I am planning to do some delrin and steel, one day. Just irritating. Otherwise I love it, mounts are strong, excellent clearance,
So, the metal supporting the hinge has twisted? I had read some other threads that the bearings would wear quickly.

I'm waiting on the DIY carrier kit, and was considering upgrading to a spindle with roller bearings, similar to this, but maybe I need to look at reinforcement of the actual bumper instead.

Do you happen to have any photos of where things are sagging/twisted?