NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 15th, 2020, 13:39
NAXJA Forum User

1997 XJ CA Legal LS Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
I don't really have anything to add to the thread discussion, but I have to say, I very much enjoyed reading your LS swap introduction. I found several bits downright hilarious (especially where you compare AMC's "Soviet Overkill" with Chrysler's "send that @#$& to the moon" approach, not to mention your commentary on the 1997 models, which seem to be much more of a rival for the 1996s in the "worst XJ year to try and get parts for" competition than I thought.

Have you considered a "build thread" here that just links back to each installment on that other site (so you don't have to post it twice)?
Thanks for the feedback!

But yeah, probably better than continuing discussion in other threads, and a lot of the info would obviously help this community (from which I've learned quite a lot):

Part 1:

https://motoiq.com/jeep-ls-swap-part...#comment-49707
Old December 16th, 2020, 10:47
NAXJA Member #920

Re: 1997 XJ CA Legal LS Swap

Thanks - have subscribed so I don't miss updates.

I found your MKIV Jetta TDI project a fun read as well, as my daily driver's an 02 Jetta TDI.
Old December 17th, 2020, 09:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Thanks - have subscribed so I don't miss updates.

I found your MKIV Jetta TDI project a fun read as well, as my daily driver's an 02 Jetta TDI.
Us cheap bastards aren't exactly original are we...?

That car is long gone for me. New owner says it's cleared 300k and still running strong. Just bought a 2020 Mustang GT PP1. Not 50mpg, but 21mpg average so far and merging onto the freeway isn't like qualifying anymore
Old December 19th, 2020, 19:07
NAXJA Member #920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
Us cheap bastards aren't exactly original are we...?

That car is long gone for me. New owner says it's cleared 300k and still running strong. Just bought a 2020 Mustang GT PP1. Not 50mpg, but 21mpg average so far and merging onto the freeway isn't like qualifying anymore

Not so much, I guess. I certainly liked the idea of >40 mpg, considering my commute is 500 miles/week. That, and I think the power curve of the ALH TDI is very similar to the 4.0...

My Jetta turned 422k miles last week, it's getting a new timing belt on Monday.

The mustang sounds like a sweet ride. Considering the engine that thing's got, 21mpg probably isn't too bad, but I bet the right driving style could get you up by 25...
Old January 7th, 2021, 11:02
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Not so much, I guess. I certainly liked the idea of >40 mpg, considering my commute is 500 miles/week. That, and I think the power curve of the ALH TDI is very similar to the 4.0...

My Jetta turned 422k miles last week, it's getting a new timing belt on Monday.

The mustang sounds like a sweet ride. Considering the engine that thing's got, 21mpg probably isn't too bad, but I bet the right driving style could get you up by 25...
Yeah, YMMV. Mine involves daily drives up/down mountain 2-lanes, so mileage always suffers for me. I did return 25mpg on a couple of tanks, but 21mpg lifetime average (which was very much compromised right after it cleared the 1000 mile breakin) isn't bad for 440whp.