• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling A/C gurus

blaisetd

NAXJA Forum User
Problem: last week the a/c stopped working. Put the freon sniffer on it and determined the compressor was leaking. I changed the compressor without changing the drier/accumulator or anything else. Pulled a vac on the system, then added aprox 6 oz of oil and 1.25lb of freon. The a/c worked but not as cold (50-60 deg) as i thought it should have been. Two days later its blowing near 70. Checked the low side pressure and it hadn't dropped and i can't find a leak with the sniffer inside or out. Any thoughts? BTW 2001 4.0 auto 75K miles blaise

check the sticker in the eng compartment. I thought they held closer to 2lbs of 134. Also,pull a vacuum and see if it will hold around 28 in or so for awhile. If it wont hold a vacuum,you have a major leak somewhere. ( it could still leak under presssure,but if it wont hold a vacuum,its a quick check for system integrity) also,the evap core has been known to leak. Fairly common on newer models and sometimes hard to find. If you can,add some flourescent dye and ckeck with a UV light.

What year, spefically what refrigerant? Did you change refrigerants?

Its a 2001 with R134a. The sticker states 1.25lbs. I think i may have figured it out. Found a leak with the system running @ the pass side vent. Evaporator Core right???? blaise

blaisetd said:
Its a 2001 with R134a. The sticker states 1.25lbs. I think i may have figured it out. Found a leak with the system running @ the pass side vent. Evaporator Core right???? blaise

Yup, guy I commute with and see in the afternoon took his 00 or 01XJ in last thursday for an evap, I'll run into him later and ask cost. He mentioned the dealer quoted ~$1100 while we were trying to do a quick parking lot no tools troubleshoot of his brake lights.

What is your pressure Hi and low side?? Tap your H valve with a small hammer If it gets stuck freeon can build up in the evap then not be able to leave so you still have pressure but it cant moove throught the system

RichP said:
Yup, guy I commute with and see in the afternoon took his 00 or 01XJ in last thursday for an evap, I'll run into him later and ask cost. He mentioned the dealer quoted ~$1100 while we were trying to do a quick parking lot no tools troubleshoot of his brake lights.

Did that include KY jelly?:D

Jeeess I could by another used 87 XJ for that kind of money, maybe with a working A/C. Oh, thats right, thats why I drive an 87 XJ, and do my own repairs. :laugh2: In fact I replaced my entire 85 A/C system for less than that, compressor, condensor......all of it.:D

Back