• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving seat mounts back

jpsnblood

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ 4 door that I have spent a ton of money on
So swapping for a 2 door is out of the question
I am 6’4” and close to 300 lbs
Watching me get in with 6 inch’s of lift and 35”s with a roll cage is comical!
I am looking at moving the stock seats back and down
I have some ideas but I am curious if anyone else has done anything to get a couple extra inches
Any ideas will be appreciated

I don't have good ideas, but I can tell you that you need to sort whatever suggestions come in based on model year. '95 and up are late model seat mounts. This means you have to deal with the stiffening cross bar for the front mounts on each seat. '94 and down have a flat floor, so for those models it may be as easy as just drilling four new holes farther back and welding on some nuts underneath. Not so simple for '95 and up. If you have an airbag you have a cross bar under your front mounts.

Moving the seats back is easy, down maybe not so much. When I installed my Corbeau's I fabricated these for a 95(your's is a split year).
FH000007_zpsiw0avxkq.jpg

FH000009_zpsvotaxyax.jpg

I used some 1.5" wide .25" thick strap and cut pieces and welded them to the bottom of the existing seat mounts. I then drilled holes offset towards the front by however much you need.

I have a severe neck issue and need my seat back more straight up and down. I pulled the seat, removed the upholstery, got down to the metal tube frame upright and cut/welded/gusseted it before putting it all back together. As you may know, XJ seat back frames are prone to break so that is why I added a paralleled dog leg shaped gusset to each side of the frame.

I dropped the front of the frame by simply cutting horizontally across the front bracket, then overlapped the top piece by an inch or so and welded the two back together. Has worked great for 20 years.

Dang
Flat stock cutting ,welding, no problem
I was looking at the problem at the wrong end!
LOL!
I appreciate the response
It makes me feel a bit better to know I am not the only big guy with a bad back that still wants to go off-roading!!

Last edited:
I ordered the bracket since it would take me too long to fabricate it for that price. I am 6'3" so this will be a great addition .

Over on Cherokee forum I read a post where guy took the seats from a late model and cut some of the mounting tabs off and re welded them on to lower the seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back