• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just rebuilt my steering box

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
My steering box was leaking like a bastard and being the hands on/cheap bastard kinda guy I decided to rebuild it.
I used the rebuild guide from A couple of places.
For the adjustment I followed the "count the threads" step but I have a nagging feeling there is a way to verify the adjustment is not right.

The box is reinstalled along with a new PS pump. I filled the res with fluid and let as much drip into the box as it seemed would go then fired the XJ up to circulate the fluid. The first time after being turned on some fluid came out of the adjustment screw area but it stopped.

I've driven both around town and on the freeway now, it feels slightly harder to turn the wheel but just a hair, and it almost seems like the jeep wants to wander side to side slightly. I think the wandering is partly from a front end in need of alignment, and me over correcting the wheel because it seems to respond better.

Is there a way to test or measure to see if I do have the proper pre-load set in the gearbox?

I'm finally getting round to readjusting my preload. Can I do this with it filled with steering fluid or do I need to drain it? I've been driving with it for a few local trips so I know it's full. Have the steering connections all removed but the hoses are still hooked up

Back