• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Wind Resistance Comparison: Roof Rack vs. Spare vs ...

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking into a cargo basket for my xj and mounting some hella 500s up top. My fear is that I will run into wind resistance issues.

I go to school about four hours from home. I put my spare inside for the trip because I get about 16 w/o tire and about 11-12 with the spare on the roof. Has anyone experienced such a difference with the roof rack + lights. I am guessing because the basket would just be a basic surco type basket plus some hella's, it wouldn't be too bad, but i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Not to mention, I could honestly feel the tire up top while driving. The xj drove like a completely underpowered rig that couldn't even stay at 75. It was extremely annoying, but I am hoping that people will say the rack isn't like that. Obviously with cargo in the basket, i'll get resistance, but I won't be traveling far with cargo. Thanks

Your driving a brick with a slightly smaller brick on top, if you stack another brick type item on top it definitely isn't helping you any.
I have noticed what your talking about with a bunch of gear on the roof.
Putting a wing/ramp thing on the front helps a lot.

______\ <---
/__]_]__\___
[--\_____/----]
(_)______(_)

Last edited:
Well, it certainly won't help your mileage...but then again, who drives an XJ because it's good on gas?

I think of mine as driving more of a sail boat on occasion. A head wind will kill you for sure, but a nice tail wind will take you for a ride, haha.

These are some old pics, my spare (31x10.50) is up there now.

2736936000063879759S600x600Q85.jpg

2200344250063879759S600x600Q85.jpg

Rack with lights will probably be almost as bad as the spare.

Back