• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty Brake lines on '91 sport

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Well, it has come to this. My brake lines need to be replaced, specifically ones going to the rear, but everything really. The rust has taken control. Does anyone aftermarket make a kit for this? I did some searching on Naxja, looks like most on here fabbed their own by pieceing together length from autozone, etc. Wondering if there is an XJ kit out there.

Or really, any tips on which way to proceed at this point.. XJ is undriveable, brake pedal on engages way down by floor. Bleeding wont help.. lines are shot (original lines)

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.. I've never done my own brake lines before.. considering having a shop do it if I can't get my head around it...

thx much! TJ

XJ '91 Sport 5-speed / stock

I bought a roll of tubing, a 10 pk of fittings and a cheap tubing cutter. Used misc. round objects, a screwdriver handle for example, to bend the tubing as needed. The alloy tubing is easy to bend and takes quite a bit to collapse. When you're routing them, leave a little extra here-and-there close to the ends.
A too much can be dealt with a whole lot easier than not enough. A local shop had no qualms about flaring the ends for me when I approached them with a "No big hurry; I'll be back tomorrow" attitude. They likely would have declined if I needed them then-and-there, but money is money and they'll squeeze it in if you give them the chance.

IMO brake lines are easy.
I also recommend using the Nicop stuff for the hard line. Most likely 3/16".
Nicopp bends and flares easily. I use the Napa Service tool version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-243...6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1579690141&sr=1-16

I also recommend buying new hoses. In my '00 XJ there are 3. 2 for the front and one for the rear at the axle. Will need a T-40 torx to get the hose off in the front.
I also recommend doing the front passenger in 2 sections. Use a union.
Buy your self some flare nut wrenches.
Lines do not have to be exactly where or bent where the factory one were.
Just don't want them to rub on anything.
When I do mine I buy premade nicopp lines and cut them down to the desired length and flare them.

I have used some Stainless Steel ones sold on EBay. I like the one from the dealer in MI or was it MN. They installed without to much hassel. I have done some line in NiCop. I like the stuff. It will bend by hand. I would as has been suggested, replace the rubber hoses. I'd also check the brakes.

You can also buy pre made brake lines n various length's copper nickel is easy to work with.

They also sell brake line union's you can screw two brake lines together

Back