• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Son of a... front brakes lessons learned

JeepNoob

NAXJA Forum User
Well, caliper finally came in, so I decided to work on the front brakes on the XJ tonight, '89 with 4x4. One side went pretty well, no major problems, but the other side, Holy Jeezless... Just when I thought I had gotten every lined up and in place just right, that caliper would just NOT go on. Now, not to be egomanical or anything, but I'm pretty good and knowledgeable when it comes to wrenching on stuff, which is why I try to help out some other folks here when I can. It seemed to me in this case that the pads wouldn't go far enough inboard. I kept getting more and more frustrated while simultaneously saying to myself "There's no way, there's just no F***ING WAY..."

Well, turns out there was and is. After taking a walk to clear my head (and also looking some stuff up on my phone) I decided to check the old brake pads. Sure enough, if you look closely, the inboard and outboard pads are different. They look VERY similar, however the outboard pads have a flat bottom and an angled cut whereas the inboard pads just have an angled cut on the bottom. (But will fit in either position, as I found out the hard way.) So, if you have one of these early XJ's and the pads look the same, CHECK THEM!

Back