• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator hose clamps?

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
What hose clamps do you use? The stock constant pressure clamps or do you switch out for screw clamps?

I personally switch out for screw clamps and have never had a problem but I see a lot of pictures where the constant pressure clamps are used -- I just don't feel like they are tight enough

Is it worth sourcing new OEM style clamps? Do the old clamps loose their effectiveness?

Looking for and education here...

Been using screw type clamps for over 50yrs!

What hose clamps do you use? The stock constant pressure clamps or do you switch out for screw clamps?

I personally switch out for screw clamps and have never had a problem but I see a lot of pictures where the constant pressure clamps are used -- I just don't feel like they are tight enough

Is it worth sourcing new OEM style clamps? Do the old clamps loose their effectiveness?

Looking for and education here...

they dont really loose their effectiveness, its usually when people remove the hose and dont put the clamp in the same spot that it was removed and creates a leak path where the clamp originally compacted the hose end.

Constant pressure clamps are good on plastic fittings that expand a lot, such as plastic radiator tanks. The CP clamp will expand and contract with the plastic, whereas screw clamps might crack the plastic as it expands.

I too have used screw clamps for years, but lately I like to use the CT clamps. If they are sized correctly, they will not leak.

Constant pressure clamps are good on plastic fittings that expand a lot, such as plastic radiator tanks. The CP clamp will expand and contract with the plastic, whereas screw clamps might crack the plastic as it expands.

I too have used screw clamps for years, but lately I like to use the CT clamps. If they are sized correctly, they will not leak.

I had never thought of this, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks.

I find too that new hose have a tendency to shrink after install, the CP clamps will continue to tighten up during this time. Though rare, I have seen them break. I use screw clamps tho. If you want to go all out there are constant tension screw clamps. They look like a screw clamps with a spring to keep pressure of they loosen up but are much higher in price.

Seems like there are plenty of us using screw clamps — I have been for the 30 years I’ve been wrenching on vehicles

I just had a moment of doubt, thought maybe I was doing it wrong for so long, especially after seeing so many pictures of engines with the spring clamps still in place

I’m good using regular old screw clamps for the rest of my life — every once in awhile I just need a little reassurance

Back