• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Securing upper shackle nut

Xhavier_5478

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a new set of leaf springs, and in the course of changing the passenger side shackle the welds holding the nut in the frame rail pocket has broken loose. I was able to cut the bolt and remove the nut and bolt remainder. I have replaced the bolt with a factory spec bolt. Now I need to know what I should do to secure the nut. I have read the people that say to add washers to space the nut out to the inside of the frame rail and use a nylock nut to keep it tight. I was thinking of welding the nut back in through some drilled holes, or has anyone made the nut into a flag nut similar to the front upper control arm?

I really want to get this squared up so I can get my jeep back to drivable, thanks to all for any advice.

I drilled a hole in a 1/8" plate to use as a big washer on the inside the the frame rail and it's working so far. Also I'd like to know how much is good to tighten the shackle bolts and such. I have mine snug so they don't bind the the bushing when rotating but I heard something like the rubber will rotate or something in the eye when torqued.

Scroll to the bottom of this page, read the Similar Threads.

Scroll to the bottom of this page, read the Similar Threads.

While I appreciate your insight on the situation, I have looked at those postings and am asking something that is not covered by any of the existing posts, being has anyone attempted to make the previously welded nut into a flag nut within the pocket of the frame rail, NOT adding washers and spacing the nut into the main frame rail.

Back