• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche MJ build thread.

Big Hank

NAXJA member #435
NAXJA Member
Started to keep track of the build while attempting to be ready for Winterfest 08. Not sure that it's going to happen as quickly as I wanted it to, but the MJ will run in the Spring.

Made great progress over the weekend:
DSC00643.jpg

TunePort 350 fits very nice with exception of the exhaust.

DSC00665.jpg

SM465 4spd tranny.....this thing feels like it weighs as much as the front axle.

DSC00666.jpg

Fixing floor problems.... If you think you have a rust problem, just wait until you start cutting it out. You find way more then expected.

DSC00679.jpg

NP205 also to heavy, but should be hard to break.

DSC00657.jpg

wrangler leaves will probably be swapped with 3in lift wrangler leaf springs

Should be building the crossmember tomorrow night. Pics to come.

Gene MJ

Gene MJ said:
Not sure that it's going to happen as quickly as I wanted it to, but the MJ will run in the Spring.
Gene MJ

We've been hearing that for how long?:bs: :doh: JIM.:kissyou:

ILLXJ said:
We've been hearing that for how long?:bs: :doh: JIM.:kissyou:

I think this will potentially be the third Winterfest what I have not wheeled. So yes Jim, you are correct.

This project has gotten way more intense then the original plan. But I think the wait will be worth it.

Is it going to stay truggified? What size lift, tires, etc. are going to go with the end result? Did you do SOA or did you go the Alcan route? That drivetrain combo looks awesome by the way, what did you end up doing for motor mounts?

Last edited:
90PioSport99 said:
Is it going to stay truggified? What size lift, tires, etc. are going to go with the end result? Did you do SOA or did you go the Alcan route? That drivetrain combo looks awesome by the way, what did you end up doing for motor mounts?

Yep, should remain truggy looking with a very truggy looking flat bed. Tires are 38/13 swamper tsl. SOA in the rear with 1inch lift xj shackles. Front is currently stock wrangler leafs, with Blue Torch Fab Shackles. Advance Adapters for the motor mounts. I'm pretty sure they do headers also, so checking those out tonight.

Gene

Gene MJ said:
Yep, should remain truggy looking with a very truggy looking flat bed. Tires are 38/13 swamper tsl. SOA in the rear with 1inch lift xj shackles. Front is currently stock wrangler leafs, with Blue Torch Fab Shackles. Advance Adapters for the motor mounts. I'm pretty sure they do headers also, so checking those out tonight.

Gene
NICE, keep us posted on the build.

Looks like a lot of work still to be done Geno.

I think you're right though, it'll be worth the wait. Looks good.

Tuned port 350....sweetness.

Hale

Crossmember finished tonight, but forgot the dang camera. I'll have pics tomorrow.

I think I'll fix a few more rust holes tomorrow night, then move onto getting the brakes finished by the end of the weekend.

DSC00699.jpg

Side Profile. Until I can do a clocking ring and raise the 205 up to flat, I'll just have to deal iwth it hanging a bit.

DSC00700.jpg

Looking up from the passenger side

DSC00706.jpg

Modified Stock Cherokee Mount

DSC00697.jpg

Ignore the rust, that is the worst spot on the truck. I'll use the press break to make a piece to replace that small section. on the top of the frame. Everything on the bottem of the truck is pretty nice from having undercoat. The interior parts are bad from door leaks and water soaked wheeling.

More to come over the weekend.

Gene, weld those nuts in place, they will be a bitch to get to once you put a floor in.

87manche said:
sweetness Gene.

you bringing the jug of rot gut to WF?

I'd say there's a good chance the ol' jug of rot gut will probably show up. I need to get over to the WF page and find out where I should be staying.

Also to anyone who gives a hoot. I finished the most overkill tie rod that I have ever seen tonight. Might post pics tomorrow, but it wont look good until I get the high steer parts ordered and on.

Back