• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp sending unit

Sizzler

NAXJA Forum User
i think that's what it's called. . . anyway, i bought an open radiator for my 88 and there is no place to plug in the temperature thing for the temp gauge. is there somewhere else that I could plug one in or some other way to gauge engine temp? any help appreciated!

What year radiator did you get. When I did the open system to my 89 it had the sensor spot. Just to clarify thou the sensor in the radiator is for the fan not for the gauge. The one for the gauge is on the back top driver corner of the head. Its just a single wire. Here is a link that will help ya visualize were the coolant sender for the gauge is. Its at ther bottom of the page.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/Basic_Sensors_Diagnostics.htm

I bought one from work for a 92 xj with a 4.0 made by transpro. It had the sensor(for the fan) spot and everthing lined right up even the cooler lines. Here is a link to the dimensions from transpro. If you havent put the one you got in yet you can just ask the parts store for a stock 92 xj 4.0 radiater at any auto parts store. It should have the sensor spot there for the fan switch that is. The temp gauge is in the head as I and another mentioned above.

http://webbase.transpro.com/catalog.php?partnum=432335

Last edited:
Sizzler said:
i think that's what it's called. . . anyway, i bought an open radiator for my 88 and there is no place to plug in the temperature thing for the temp gauge. is there somewhere else that I could plug one in or some other way to gauge engine temp? any help appreciated!
You talking about something like this.........
the "wire" at the top goes to the gauge.

100_1585A.jpg

This is really a mod - sorta. When I did the open cooling thing, I installed a '92 up thermostat neck from the junkyard. I came with a sensor in it, I wired it into the original harness. It worked fine. No muss, no fuss. Fan kicks in right smartly, and if you want one that trips at a lower temp, they are discussed somewhere - I'm still looking for the post myself.

A Comanche overflow tank will barely fit between the air box and fender, the wiring loom is too bulky. I used longer screws with a 3/8 spacer between the tank and fender to leave room, and relocated the puel pump resistor further down the inner fender to prevent splicing up wires.

Now my engine runs a little too cool, I installed a three core, but it sure doesn't overheat either. I have Lebaron vents to make things even worse - that's the next mod!

Back