• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Side Post Question Answered...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who've asked me about using side posts for distribution, here's the results of some digging around I've been doing...

Side posts should be used for secondary distribution - no more than 50-60A, constant-duty.

Side posts are threaded 3/8"-16, and are only about 3/8" deep. Therefore, using a 3/8"-16 x 1/2" long bolt should be plenty - but be ready to use a washer or two to take up the slack... If you are using a single ring lug, a 3/8"-16 x 3/8" bolt should be fine. While the OEM use was low-carbon steel, I would be inclined to recommend the use of stainless or brass for our purposes.

Torque the bolt to NOT MORE THAN 24 inch-pounds, or two foot-pounds. This is due to the soft lead of the terminal cup, and the fact that the side "posts" still heat up, and aren't cooled effectively by ambient air (being shrouded by plastic...) If you don't have a torque wrench, then you can get away with using a regular wrench - but I'd hold it with fingers about two inches away from the box end (with the box end on the bolt,) and only exter the strength of one finger when tightening. Treat this point as important.

Again, be sure that you do not exceed 50-60A constant-duty for accessory distribution when planning the use of side terminals. The fact that GM used side posts should not encourage you - I belive they don't use side posts anymore, either.

5-90

Back