• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vs. ZJ Track Width & Stretched XJ

Nay

NAXJA Forum User
Are the XJ and ZJ track widths the same? I can't find this answer anywhere. I think they are by basic measurements, but want actual confirmation.

The reason I'm asking is that my XJ will be too small for family use in a couple of years. I may have to become a traitor and swap axles and parts of the suspension to a ZJ, presuming they'll fit (with whatever necessary trimming). The V8 would be awfully nice, too.

I'd like to stretch the XJ, but I don't see how it is feasible without just butchering it. If anybody has an example that has been pulled off, and I'd want 12" max while extending the wheelbase 6", I'd like to see them.

Otherwise, my XJ days may be numbered :anon: .

Nay

I remember seeing a streched XJ on the net, let me see what I can come up with (small limo)

The track width is the same but you'll recall that the front on a ZJ is a low pinion so the front driveshaft "might" make a difference as pinion length and location will come into play. Further, the rear is coil sprung, not leaves like the XJ. But attaching your front end components should be easy enough. The rear end may also be an aluminum D44, not a D35, which could pose problems.

Dave, take a lot of measurements and test drives, because a ZJ isn't anywhere near as big inside as an XJ with a 12" stretch. The ZJ was originally proposed as the replacement for the XJ and it's only marginally larger inside.

between my 99xj and my friends 96 zj i would rather do long travel in his. lots more room on the inside, in the front at least, and btw you traitor :)

I've always kinda wanted to splice the front half of a 2-door XJ to the back half of a 4-door XJ.

I'll still have big doors for my fat ass to get in and out of, and I won't have to get out to let people out of the back.

CheapXJ said:
I've always kinda wanted to splice the front half of a 2-door XJ to the back half of a 4-door XJ.

I'll still have big doors for my fat ass to get in and out of, and I won't have to get out to let people out of the back.

Maybe like this?

Or maybe it should be more like this

Robert

Last edited:
I like that setup... a two-door front half spliced to a four-door rear half.

Being the XJ is of unit-body construction, and that the 'frames' are the same in both the two and four door varieties... it ought to be a fairly straightforward fab job (unlike trying to splice an MJ to an XJ...the MJ's 'frame' gets wider than the XJ, behind the tranny/tcase crossmember.) Besides the welding/bodywork, one would need to extend fuel & brake plumbing, wiring, driveshaft, & handbrake cables...not an impossible feat.

Still though, the 2+4 rig would only grow what? 6-8" (the difference in front door length) and it wouldn't increase the cargo area behind the back seat any.

Can anyone say "TrailBlazer XL with dual D60s?" I knew you could...

Oh-oh-oh WAIT!!!

I got it!

I'll take the scraps from Cheap's splice, and put the back of the two door on the front half of the four door. Have to finnagle the back of the rear doors a bit, but just look at THIS!

The pass compartment is essentially unchanged, but you double the space behind the seat that Woody was talking about. And you don't need to resort to a trailbl...l..lecchh. Nope, couldn't say it...

SOMEBODY's gotta build this! Get crackin!

:D Robert

I_1BADXJ_I said:
Oh-oh-oh WAIT!!!

I got it!

I'll take the scraps from Cheap's splice, and put the back of the two door on the front half of the four door. Have to finnagle the back of the rear doors a bit, but just look at THIS!

The pass compartment is essentially unchanged, but you double the space behind the seat that Woody was talking about. And you don't need to resort to a trailbl...l..lecchh. Nope, couldn't say it...

SOMEBODY's gotta build this! Get crackin!

:D Robert

Make the rear door a standard 2-doors door also, then you wouldn't have to mess with altering it, would be easier and longer to boot. It'd be a damn bus!! :)

Last edited:
Make the rear door a standard 2-doors door also...

Yeah, but it looks funny that way.

Basically what I did was use the fourdoor's rear door for length, used the back of a twodoor door for the lower skin, and the twodoor's quarter window, flipped backwards. Sounds involved, but if my no-talent ass can do it in mspaint, somebody here can do it in steel...

Robert

But there's a HUGE difference in rearranging a few pixels and actually doing it.

You need something much less involved if you get backed into at the grocery store. :)

I'd opt for you're 1st version.

If hacking isn't an option think about buying a longbed MJ, cutting the back wall out of the cab, caging the entire thing, then slapping a shell on it. You could always add an extra heater to help in the winter. Should have plenty of room but you would lack the extra doors. But then again they're kids and they like climbing all over crap. :D

we have 97XJ and a 98ZJ. The ZJ really isn't that much bigger on the inside than the XJ, especially with the spare in the back. Build a SAS Durango for more space.

SeanP

I agree with Sean. We have a 95 ZJ and I don't feel a difference all that much. I knew a guy who wheeled one in AZ, and he really dislikes it. TOO LONG of a wheelbase and expensive to do stuff to.

JMO
Matt

well, you could buy a station wagon- thats about what those drawings looked like (no offense) I did read that jeep is coming out with a new zj, bigger, but not better- I think they are geting rid of the solid front on it. I think its a 2005 model.....

If you think the XJ is going to be cramped soon, I wouldn't even consider a ZJ. Get a nice, reliable Toy FJ80 and call it good. :)

ACE said:
If you think the XJ is going to be cramped soon, I wouldn't even consider a ZJ. Get a nice, reliable Toy FJ80 and call it good. :)

DING DING DING, we have a winner! Run 33s(285/75 16s) stock, some were available with dual electric lockers factory, Toyota reliability, and comfortable seating for 7. The wheelbase isn't TOO much longer, somewhere between the XJ and a Yukon. Our FJ-80 is a little sluggish, but I'll be investigating that as I KNOW it needs some TLC in the engine maintenance department. It's been "maintained" as in having the oil changed and such, but it needs a good throttlebody cleaning and just some general rejuvenation.

We(my family) have a Yukon, FJ-80, and my XJ and we have had previously a '95 ZJ as well. I would definately recommend the FJ-80 for a double-duty 'wheelin rig/family hauler. The Yukon feels like you're driving the living room. The ZJ was sportier than the XJ with discs all around and the V8, but wasn't noticeably bigger.

Oh, and btw, the rear axle is full-float with discs and beefy shafts(haven't counted splines, but they're close to 35-spline D60 in strength from what I've read) and the front, aside from having birfields(FJ-80 birfs are substantially stronger than the mini-truck birfs) is nearly indestructible with anything less than 38's. Lastly it has a radius arm front suspension setup stock, and rear 4-link(+ panhard bar) with coils all around. Flexes great even with the swaybars hooked up.

103-0306_AUT.JPG

Stupid poseur shot:
103-0309_AUT.JPG

Ary

Back