• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifter hard to put in park

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
87 XJ with AW4 and roughly 4" lift, no transmission spacer blocks.

When my XJ is shifted into park it does not lock into place unless a good bit of force is applied to give it that extra bit for the ignition locking tab to click in place.
My Sister in law now owns my jeep and the quirks I know how to deal with aren't something she is used to.

Since the key can be pulled in and out of the ignition at any point my SIL fails to realize the ignition switch is not fully shut off and thus the battery dies.

What needs to be adjusted so the shifter locks in park properly?

More than likely shifter cable needs to be adjusted. On my 89 XJ. the cable adjustment is on the driver side trans tunnel.
IIRC, pull the cable out of the bracket (carefully, there are plastic clips that hold it in), pull the sleeve back and adjust cable.
Also make sure there are no kinks or damage to cable. You can google/youtube exactly how if necessary. If you have an fsm it should tell you as well.

Back