• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want AX15 in '87 cherokee

BoostedYack

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '87 cherokee 5sp/4 door :), and was wanting to get rid of the trans thats in it now. It has that peugo (sp?) in there and havn't heard a good thing about it. I have to do some clutch work very soon here and wanted to swap in the ax15 instead. I have a '90 YJ which I wheel with almost every weekend also and it has the ax trans. Its been real reliable, has 170K+ miles on it and i'm happy with the gearing, although it does only have 31" as the XJ has 33" tires. Anyone have a better suggestion? Seems like every trans/transercase is interchangalbe with jeeps, anyone have a list of parts that can be interchanged, that would be cool. I'm a new member by the way in the Norristown, PA area. I go wheeling about every weekend, have a '90 YJ and '87 XJ. The XJ is a white/4 door/5sp/ 4.0L. I've been looking for that combo XJ for about 2 years now :) Check it out at www.cardomain.com and search for BoostedYack.

The trans in your YJ is an AX5 just fyi.

The BA10 to AX15 swap isnt hard but you will need a matching t-case because yours will not bolt to the AX15. Just use a clutch for the AX15 and everything else is a bolt in affair. Other choices would be the NV3550 out of a 00-01 XJ or 00-upTJ. Or the NSG 6SPD from the new (06-up) TJ. Those are mostly all fairly easy swaps.

Mmm... 6 spd in a Cherokee (where's the drooling smiley)

A minor nit to pick.... you're a forum user, not a member. See http://www.naxja.org/html/membership_faq.htm . NAXJA does a bunch more than just run this site. Membership has it's benefits.....

You'll also have some work to do around the flywheel, in particular, the pilot bushing. It's been discussed several times here, I think there's even part numbers floating around inside 61scout80's link.

Re: CMNCHE's comment. If your YJ is a 4cyl, I'd bet on it having an AX5.

Back