• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Scout II D44 brake options

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I have a Scout II D44, that i would like to build on the cheap. I can handle spending coin on good axles and such, because this would be done with any axle, but the Brakes are concerning me. The axle I have only has the backing plates, and I priced the drums and they are $100 a piece, with shoes and hardware, they are going to be a big cost. So I want to know if anyother setup will work, XJ D44 drums, D35 drums, ZJ discs.. I dont like the $300 bolt on disc kits with redrilled rotors, I want fairly easy to find parts,.
so what can I do?

Ludakris said:
Ok guys, I have a Scout II D44, that i would like to build on the cheap. I can handle spending coin on good axles and such, because this would be done with any axle, but the Brakes are concerning me. The axle I have only has the backing plates, and I priced the drums and they are $100 a piece, with shoes and hardware, they are going to be a big cost. So I want to know if anyother setup will work, XJ D44 drums, D35 drums, ZJ discs.. I dont like the $300 bolt on disc kits with redrilled rotors, I want fairly easy to find parts,.
so what can I do?
Are you keeping the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern? If so youcan get Dodge or F150 rotors, Waggy or Chevy 1/2 ton calipers, Caliper stands from Speedway motorsports that weld to the housing.

Dan

DO NOT do TSM. I did, and would not do it again. If I had to do it over, I would stick with the stock Scout II stuff. IIRC, the drums are 11 inches!! serious stopping power, and probably cheaper than any conversion you might do. If you are sold on disks, I'm sure ZJ or 8.8 parts can be fairly easily adapted.

If you do go with disks, you may need to run a lift block in back to leave room for the caliper, as the Scout II axle is @ 2 inches narrower than the XJ's. I do.

xj-grin said:
I would stick with the stock Scout II stuff. IIRC, the drums are 11 inches!!

actually, they are 11 1/8" ers.

a wierd size, which is why they are so damn expensive.

I decided to go with it though, since any conversion would have cost the same in parts and extra labor. I felt it was worth it to suck up the price, and enjoy a straight-forward assembly. For what its worth, I still have the scouttII dana 44, that is a plug-and-play deal with the new brakes, full detroit, outer bearings, 5.13's and 2" wheel lug spacers.

Back