• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank, no start

kujito

NAXJA Forum User
89, 4.0, aw4

Cranks just fine, but won't start. Haven't had any issues with starting in this cold weather lately.

I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key to On. Don't have anybody to help see if it's getting spark or not.

Gotta get to work. Any ideas?

Most likely flooded. Pull the plugs and let them dry out. With the plugs out, hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and crank it over for a few seconds to clear the cylinders, then reinstall them.

Press and hold the gas pedal to the floor and see if it'll fire. If it does, then Throttle Position Sensor is either out of adjustment or bad.

If no start with pedal down, I'd be betting on the Crank Position Sensor. Some have had some luck by disconnecting the battery, disconnecting the CPS at the harness above the intake manifold, re-connecting the battery, cranking it with the CPS disconnected. Disconnect the battery again for 30 seconds, reconnect the CPS and battery and try starting it normally. Otherwise, a fubar CPS will just allow it to crank and crank and no fire.

Plugs are dry, so old_man's suggestion didn't work (tried anyway).

I may try your suggestions YELLA, but that'll have to wait til morning. Gonna steal the wife's car for the night.

Thanks both.

Cycle the key a few times before trying to crank the engine. This will indicate low fuel pressure/weak pump if it starts.

How much gas was in the tank just before the cold hit? Have you filled it since?

What should I be looking (listening) for? I actually did that, not sure why. First cycle, I hear the pump run for maybe a second. Second time, pump gave a quick, very short, blip. Third time, no sound from pump. Still no start.

There's about 1/2 tank of fuel right now. Last filled up on Tues. morning.

What should I be looking (listening) for? I actually did that, not sure why. First cycle, I hear the pump run for maybe a second. Second time, pump gave a quick, very short, blip. Third time, no sound from pump. Still no start.

There's about 1/2 tank of fuel right now. Last filled up on Tues. morning.

Pump sounds normal. :thumbup:

Press and hold the gas pedal to the floor and see if it'll fire. If it does, then Throttle Position Sensor is either out of adjustment or bad.

If no start with pedal down, I'd be betting on the Crank Position Sensor. Some have had some luck by disconnecting the battery, disconnecting the CPS at the harness above the intake manifold, re-connecting the battery, cranking it with the CPS disconnected. Disconnect the battery again for 30 seconds, reconnect the CPS and battery and try starting it normally. Otherwise, a fubar CPS will just allow it to crank and crank and no fire.

Well waddayano, jiggles some wires and kicked the tires and she fired right up. :gee:

Thanks YELLA! :yelclap:

Back