• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 1999 5spd 4.5inch RE -- NP231/rear drive shaft/gear options/shim options please

cooljeepnorthxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 5spd with a 4.5inch RE lift installed and 32.5inch tires on the stock axels with the 8.25 rear. What gearing should I install? All the info I have found deals with the automatics. Also looking at doing a SYE and would like to know if the front drive shaft from an xj will work or not (what should the length be with a full SYE for the new shaft, and what degree of shims should I use for the correct pinion angle? If anyone has a similar set up or ideas, I would appreciate your advice.

Stock automatic driveshafts are perfect. Make sure you install it the way it came off. Or else you can offset it's balance. Meaning don't take the shaft apart without marking it's weight position on the other shaft, it's also easy to misalign it.

I get the shafts from you pull for 35 each:)

As for gears go 4:56 you will probably want bigger tires in the future. I learned the hard, so do it right first time and save time and money!

I have a 1999 5spd with a 4.5inch RE lift installed and 32.5inch tires on the stock axels with the 8.25 rear. What gearing should I install? All the info I have found deals with the automatics. Also looking at doing a SYE and would like to know if the front drive shaft from an xj will work or not (what should the length be with a full SYE for the new shaft, and what degree of shims should I use for the correct pinion angle? If anyone has a similar set up or ideas, I would appreciate your advice.

I have a 99 xh as well with a manual and an 8.25 rear with 32" tires and a 4.5" rubicon express lift too. I ran the 3.07s for a while and it didnt bother me except that i couldnt use 5th on the highway. I now have 35" tires and i have 4.10s and its just about perfect, though not really fast. You might like to run 4.56s if you want it to be fast but be advised you will be shifting fast as well, especially out of 1st gear.

That lift should have come with the correct shims, which are like 8* or 6* or something like that i cant remember, but they should be on there. Get a tom woods shaft or a shaft from the front of an auto xj

Who uses first gear anyways?

Stock automatic driveshafts are perfect. Make sure you install it the way it came off. Or else you can offset it's balance. Meaning don't take the shaft apart without marking it's weight position on the other shaft, it's also easy to misalign it.

I get the shafts from you pull for 35 each:)

As for gears go 4:56 you will probably want bigger tires in the future. I learned the hard, so do it right first time and save time and money!
Total BS.
1-He's got a manual trans,a auto shaft wont work
2-Phasing only applies if you dis-assemble the slip-yoke(why would you do that?),if you did,you dont need to worry about the weights,you need to worry about the splines and the CV assembly parts(index all the parts before you start).

What gearing should I install? 4.10s. My AX15 - 32" tires - 4.10s combo gives me about a 120% fast stock speedometer reading. I will turn "higher" RPMS on the highway, but the setup is torquey offroad. Plus you will be ready for stepping up a tire size or two in the future.
Also looking at doing a SYE and would like to know if the front drive shaft from an xj will work or not
I don't believe it does. I used a front shaft from a V8 WJ for sometime until the joints began to fail. Now I have a shaft from tom woods and greasable u-joints are your friends.
what should the length be with a full SYE for the new shaft be? Install the SYE kit and then measure for the correct driveshaft length.
what degree of shims should I use for the correct pinion angle? My RE kit didn't come with shims either. I bought 6* shims from a local driveline shop.

Total BS.
1-He's got a manual trans,a auto shaft wont work
2-Phasing only applies if you dis-assemble the slip-yoke(why would you do that?),if you did,you dont need to worry about the weights,you need to worry about the splines and the CV assembly parts(index all the parts before you start).

Total BS... that is a nice way to correct my quote...

Why can you not run a auto front shaft for a rear with an sye in a manual xj? I thought that would be fine, if not please educate me instead of bashing me...

I told this person to not dissassemble it, so he didnt phase it... You never know what someone will or wont do... so i gave a heads up.

Peace

Total BS... that is a nice way to correct my quote...

Why can you not run a auto front shaft for a rear with an sye in a manual xj? I thought that would be fine, if not please educate me instead of bashing me...

I told this person to not dissassemble it, so he didnt phase it... You never know what someone will or wont do... so i gave a heads up.

Peace

The AX15 is shorter then the aw4 so the front shaft is not long enough.

be careful when giving advise. It would have sucked if he went out and paid for one to have it not fit. I know there not alot of money at the PnP's but still money is money.

Last edited:
Back