• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ crank no start

tricker

NAXJA Forum User
have replaced CPS twice, most recently with a MOPAR CPS

replaced coil and tests good

Will turn over, but not start. No CEL or codes.

Never had any problems, when getting on onramp to interstate it died. Had it towed home and waited a few hours it started.

Replaced CPS with aftermark and it started and when I backed over curb in front of my house it died. Hasn't started since, even after MOPAR CPS was installed.

All fuses checked out and fuel pump is running when turned to on. Doesn't appear to be making spark.

Where do i look next?

ALL HELP APPRECIATED!!!

Check harness going to cps it might be damaged. Check to see if injectors are firing with noid light. If the injectors are firing it would be spark related.

Had similar issue with mine. Have you checked the simple thing like coil and plug wires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could be mistaken but wouldn't that cause a missfire and a CEL?
Fuel pump working but maybe clogged filter? That wouldn't throw a code that I'm aware of.

Test the CPS, new does not automatically mean good. The symptoms suggest a wire harness issues like a loose wire connector, chafed wire insulation causing a short circuit, and/or wire damage or wire splice failure causing an open circuit.

Test and Inspect the Cam Sensor Pick-up in the distributor.

I could be mistaken but wouldn't that cause a missfire and a CEL?
Fuel pump working but maybe clogged filter? That wouldn't throw a code that I'm aware of.

The coil can be faulty, but being faulty will likely not show a CEL trouble code. The 97-01 in fuel tank sock filter hardly ever gets clogged, however testing the fuel pressure is quick and easy.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies, again this is a spark issue

Crankshaft position sensor tests good

Camshaft position sensor tested bad, never showed 5v when turning

New one didn't either

Can someone tell me which pin i need to check voltage feed to camshaft position sensor

Try swapping out the ASD relay. Same situation with my 01 a couple of years ago. Both ASD and fuel pump relays were old and intermittently disfunctional.

The symptoms suggest wire harness issues like a loose wire connector, chafed wire insulation causing a short circuit, and/or wire damage or wire splice failure causing an open circuit.

The obvious next step is visual inspection of the Crank and Cam sensor wire harnesses, and testing for short circuit/open circuit with a Volts/Ohm Multi-meter.

My 98 had a problem that would typically allow me to start, but would temporarily cut out while driving. It turned out that it was a short as Tim_MN suggested. Mine was the back side of the fuel rail had rubbed a hole in the flex loom and cut into a couple wires in there. I was able to get inside the loom and repair it, then close the loom back up. I used wire ties to hold the loom away from the fuel rail. I am not sure this is where your issue is, but I have fixed this same issue on mine and a friends, as well.

I believe my signal wire to the coil is grounded somewhere, so the coil never fires....to bypass this ground which pin do i need to tie into at the pcm?

Back