• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help, replaced NSS, won't start

WEJOXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Need help ASAP,
"Refurbished" the Neutral Safety Switch after back up lights wouldn't work (searched, found repair through forum and troubleshooting) but everything else did work (gears, etc). Installed after electric parts cleaner and dielectric grease, but it won't start up.

While prying out the NSS, the shift lever went back. Will this affect me, need to cycle back around? I'm at a loss here and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1998 4.0 with AW4

What gear was it in when you adjusted it? You should go back and check the adjustment.

Probably just need to adjust the position. If you don't have a meter, one way is to put in in reverse and watch the backup lights. Rotate either way until the go off, and then line it up in the middle of those two points.

Engine won't engage at all. Have to check the reverse lights now. Thanks for the point.

Not to pad my post count, but the engine won't crank at all, the reverse lights now work. So I'll go to my tweeking since I'm in the right gear apparently. Thanks for the common sense on that one.

Not to pad my post count, but the engine won't crank at all, the reverse lights now work. So I'll go to my tweeking since I'm in the right gear apparently. Thanks for the common sense on that one.

Did you happen to unplug the CPS too? The connectors are right beside each other IIRC.

Yes, forgot to mention that I did unplug the cps to cut the zip tie easier but plugged it back and have disconnected and connected the negative on the battery. Thanks for bringing that up. I've replaced the cps before but never had any problems.

Just thinking maybe the plug could not be all the way connected.

There is no connect to the crank in Neutral or Park. Not even a click from the starter solenoid now.

Check for continuity across pins B & C on the NSS side when in Park and Neutral. Also jumper the B & C pins on the harness side to bypass the NSS and see if it cranks.

I have been going back and forth on this too. (89 Wagoneer Limited).

I currently have a jumper ground from the starter relay to the batt. It will crank and start in all gears now, but at least it will crank and start.

I have done the continuity checks with my digital volt meter and all seems fine, but no crank without the jumper. I am thinking that I may have "overtightened" the nut on the center of the NSS and maybe warped the housing and am not getting the contact for the NSS to provide the ground to the starter relay.

I will be looking into this further this week.

Thanks for the help. I did have continuity. Decided to pull the NSS back off and double check everything. Part of the arm inside cracked right where one of the contacts go in so now it won't stay. :smsoap:

so this is the most recent nss thread i found... i'm swapping mine out... all the write ups i found i tried... well the damn nss wouldn't come off... soaked it in pb... used the biggest pry bar i could fit in.... no luck... all the usual attempts of destruction were used.... and the one tool that did the trick... oil filter pliers... or tongs whatever you call them... i just gripped the bastard and tried to break both the cheap pliers and the nss...
the oil filter pliers had just the right angle on them to get a good grip and pry it out...

just thought i'd throw that in for everyone else who will be searching how to do this...

Back