• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB channel 9...

SeansBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So it's supposed to be "monitored by police". Well in this day and age of so many cell phones there arent even pay phones anymore, do the police monitor this as a means of calling an officer if needed? Anone here know? I know many of us jeepers have CB's but it it just truckers and off-roaders on the airwaves anymore?:dunce:

SeansBlueXJ said:
So it's supposed to be "monitored by police". Well in this day and age of so many cell phones there arent even pay phones anymore, do the police monitor this as a means of calling an officer if needed? Anone here know? I know many of us jeepers have CB's but it it just truckers and off-roaders on the airwaves anymore?:dunce:

Truckers, off-roaders, annoying kids, etc.

If anyone's monitoring Channel 9, it's probably these guys: http://www.reactintl.org/ .

Yea if you run rual areas police do monitor channel 9. State and county do at least.

1985xjlaredo said:
Yea if you run rual areas police do monitor channel 9. State and county do at least.

Well being in NJ there is no such thing as "rural" but on one of my recent trips to VA where my dad is, listening to the CB i just wondered if the Ch9 thing was still active. I guess you takes your chances with it.

casm said:
Truckers, off-roaders, annoying kids, etc.

And annoying truckers (I can say that because Im one of them, not an annoying one though;))

I try to limit my CB access but when I have been on CH9, Ive never heard anyone. Ive even tried to call the police on 9 and no one was on it, at least they didnt answer if they were.
I cant say they do or dont monitor it but If they do, its not consistant, I wouldnt count on it.

Well Ive never found anyone monitoring 9. the cops and forest service use ham bands. In california call 909 383 5654 and you will get main dispatch for all emergency services in the forest and BLM (they cover all the way out to quartsite in AZ also)

In VA the state police do moniter channel 9, they will not answer back in most cases. Just keep repeating your info/whereabouts and they usually will show up.

I actually had to use the emergency channel a few years ago, a rogue trucker tried to run me, and then my wife and kids, (whom I was following) off of the road on I-81. There was no one else on the road except for the 3 of us. He pulled up beside me and pointed a pistol at me. The wife and I slowed way down and let him go on and I hailed the state police on 9(no cell service) and a few miles later they had him pulled over. He was on a controlled substance and pleaded guilty to "road rage". It was comforting to know that someone was listening.

I travel the interstate a good bit and this is the only incident I personnaly have ever had with a trucker and the only time I have ever used the emergency channel.

casm said:
annoying kids, etc.

I keep mine disconnected a lot of the time for that reason. as soon as any of my friends get in my jeep and see the CB they want to start screwing around on it. Leaving it disconnected seems to solve that problem.

DrMoab said:
What in the world did you do to make him so mad? :D

I still do not know, he was tailgating me too close going down Christiansburg mountain, everytime I changed lanes to let him by he followed. We were running 65 and he rolled up on us moving about 75, he had the fast lane to pass but he hit the jake brake and kept his truck less tha 3' from the rear of my F-150. After he got done harrasing me he did the same to the wife with the kids in the car, thats when I turned on the cb and asked him to back off the blue car in front of him and that my wife and kids were in there. He had a few things to say and then slowed down and waited on me. When we were beside each other he pulled the gun, I locked the brakes down let him go. The guy was just nuts what can I say.

WaXJ_Skier said:
I keep mine disconnected a lot of the time for that reason. as soon as any of my friends get in my jeep and see the CB they want to start screwing around on it. Leaving it disconnected seems to solve that problem.

indeed. even my grown up friends want to mess around on the CB. So I just leave the mic in the glovebox.

9 is monitored by police in Canada. Every call I've ever heard of someone making has been picked up by either the RCMP or a local police force...

Like Dan said, ch 9 is rarely monitored here in Southern California. Summer of '05, my buddy and I were driving through Mojave and his d30 grenaded. No cell signal, so we sat on channel 9 and never heard anything back. About an hour later, a CHP pulled up and said he heard us. Apparently, they don't respond if you call for help, so that there's no traffic on it.

only used Ch 9 once, to report an engine fire on some highway in Alabama, didn't get a response and nobody showed up in the 4 or 5 minutes I helped put it out. 80s RV came out ok, just needed a new wiring harness when it was over.

So it sounds like where it is "monitored" it is just that, listened to but not used. And i suppose it's 50/50 if it is being monitored at all. well that satisified my curiousity i suppose.

Back