• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Go prepared

Bryan C.

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Seems like we need a post around here talking about self reliance on the trail. Please keep this as an informational post and leave the drama out of it.

If you plan on running The Rubicon (or any other rock crawling type trail), you need a back-up plan. If your back-up plan revolves around relying on the kindness of strangers, or someone you know finding you, then you have no plan at all.

Bring a buddy. There was a thread here recently about not wheeling alone. This is good advice, although an experienced wheeler with a proven rig has some latitude on this rule, it is always a good idea to go with another vehicle. Sufficient camping supplies and food for at least one nights stay should be brought along as well.

Take the time to check over your rig BEFORE you hit the trail. Check the basics, like your cooling system, oil leaks, tune-up, driveshaft and axle joints. Check your steering, frame, axle brackets, control arm mounts, and springs for signs of damage or cracking. Leaving your house with a rig with known problems is a recipe for disaster.

Spare parts. Do not rely on someone else to supply you with spare parts. We all know stuff happens on the trail so be prepared.

Axle shafts. Slip off a rock, get wedged, and apply just a little too much throttle and *snap*, there goes an axle shaft. You should have a spare shaft, and the tools/know how to replace the broken shaft. Spare gear oil. silicone for your cover, a strong magnet, and a spill kit may be needed to remove the broken piece of axle from your differential. Spare axle joints are always good to carry as well.

Driveshafts and u-joints are known to break and are prone to trail damage. A complete spare rear driveshaft is a good thing to have. Perform routine maintenance on your driveshafts BEFORE you hit the trail. Changing a bad driveshaft u-joint on the trail is no fun. Also be aware that all the torque from low range, water, mud, and dirt can ruin a good driveshaft u-joint along the trail. Fixing this before driving 100+ miles home is a good idea.

Spare tires and on board air. Having an adequate air supply is a good idea. From airing up your tires for the drive home, or fixing a blown bead on the trail a good air supply comes in handy quite often. A full size spare is a must if you want to drive your rig home at the end of the day.

Steering. If you have a custom steering set-up do not expect anyone else to have a similar set-up and have spares. I carry 2 spare heims and the hardware to install it, and a complete tie rod. If you have stock steering then you NEED to carry a complete tie-rod. Even Currie steering will break so plan ahead.

Don't expect other people to solve your problem. The truth is that there are people who will bend over backwards for a stranger, but these people are few and far between. More than likely someone will help you fix your problem if you have the parts. Do not expect a stranger to give up their spare parts, instead offer to buy them or trade them for other spare parts.

Sometimes it is impossible to carry a spare for everything. This is where the second vehicle comes into play. A quick trip to the trailhead and removing the needed parts from a friends rig might be the only way to get you home or off the trail far enough to call a tow truck. They might also need to drive into town to get parts. This is where the food and supplies come into play.

Being prepared is essential to having a good time, and making sure those around you have a good time. If you stop and work on your junk 2 times before you even get on the trail then don't expect to be invited along the next time.

A few more items to do to your rig BEFORE you hit the trail.

Dana 30 front axle hub/unit bearings are known to rust over and stick in the knuckle. If you have never removed your unit bearing, take it apart and apply anti-seize to the bearing and knuckle. Changing an axle shaft on the thrail is hard enough, dont add trying to remove a rusted in place unit bearing to the ordeal.

The front axle shaft nut on a D30 is 36mm, have one on hand. You will also need a 13mm 12 point socket for the caliper and hub bearing retainer bolts.

Stock front axle control arm brackets are thin and only welded on one side. Mini-skids are highly recommended, as well as wleding the inside of the bracekts to the axle tube. The control arm bracket just might rip clean off the axle tube. (Ask me how I know, :anon: )

Driveshaft yokes can also fail. The locater tab will break, among other things, if the driveshaft were to hit a rock or other obstacle. It is recommended to replace your stock yokes with u-bolt syle yokes. A 1 1/8" socket will work for D30 and D44 yokes, 1 1/4" socket for D35 and Chryco 8.25".

Last edited:
thanks Bryan! this is all good info for someone maybe thinking about hittin the trail. awesome info, and i know about the unit bearing being seized lol.

Sean

Bryan this is great info!!!!

i leave the unit bearings on my spare 30 shafts when i pull them. makes swapping out a front shaft even easier, that way i never need to crack that 36mm. that being said i still carry the 36mm socket.

some pieces of 12g sheet metal in various sizes and frame width in random sizes and maybe some welding rod(and use a friends second battery an jumper cables)
and that mold in your hand epoxy that can be used wet or not is good as well.
self tappers and extra bolts and a drill could also be used over a on board welder in a bind.
ive got some yota buddies in valley springs that have used their on board welder to :
-completely repair a cracked frame at the steering box on the trail
-completely weld up a set of rear leaves into a ball to get out, due to a cracked rear main leaf

no one carries rear mains( i dont think so at least) and broken frame rails just sucks

i also carry spare bolts for every bolt in the entire front axle under my back seat, as well as driveshaft bolts, steering box bolts, spare tie rod, drag link, 30 shafts( maybe 44 shafts) and a trackbar and bolt as well a rebuild kit for my trackbar, brake pads, motor mount, rtv, random bolts,u joints,tire patch/plug kit, drive belt, alternator, all fluids, carb cleaner, fuel line(its high pressure) plumbers tape, gasket maker, fuel injectors, assorted o rings, a cb radio, a flare,emergency blankets, flashlights, candles, emergency granola bars, and tons of water as well a full tool set.
my spare driveshaft fits front and rear which is nice.

after my last trip out, we lost the clutch line to our willys and lost the clutch so i now am going to start carring assorted brake lines( the pre flared ones with the fittings) just because it sucked to fix that out there. and i also started carrying brake cleaner for vehicles that are all drums(like my willys) that looses its brakes every time it goes through deep water) and we have to take off all the drums and clean out all the greasy mud(bad axle seals all around too dont help)
i know i carry more than im saying, but i cant think of it all right now.
a high lift is ok, but a second good sized bottle jack is often needed as well.
a small block of wood can go a long way(wheel chock, place to set a jack on, etc etc)
come alongs are good too

if you have ford or yota axles an extra third member isnt a terrible idea....

Last edited:
Make sure you have plenty of cash just in case you do need to buy parts/fluids off someone.

Might be a good idea to carry spare essential sensors too. IE crankshaft sensor, ect...

Back