• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thanksgiving Run at TSF 2010

Re: Thanksgiving run at TSF

pictures are worth 1,000 words....

e2c99793.jpg

389f83c5.jpg

596c14d9.jpg

dba10b2d.jpg

2de765c4.jpg

081130b7.jpg

e61e8591.jpg

ea7b1cd0.jpg

4c4691ba.jpg

255b3d95.jpg

Just because I know this picture (and the others to come) may create some controversy I feel something needs to be said.

All the cans and trash were picked up, and recycled (thank you Scott and Jeff). Those were not from the trail, and were enjoyed while around the campfire among many friends.

Perhaps next year we could try using a bag from the start? ;)

I haven't even looked at the few pictures I took, but I will say that was the best Thanksgiving Run ever! :D

... no bubbles no troubles.

Don't you have like a case of NAXJA trash bags?:twak:

Another one down for the record books.

Rod, Darren, Ben, Dan, and myself met up late Thursday to head out. The roads weren't too bad, but the higher we got the more snow we found. I honestly wasn't expecting snow at camp, but we must have had a good foot of snow on the ground.

Friday rolled around, and people slowly began to trickle in. Once everyone got their camp set up we rolled out in the afternoon to go see how much snow we were dealing with. The plan was to do a "quick" trip up Hoodraiser to Hogsback. Well when you add snow to the mix, double the normal total trip time, and multiply by two.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

I broke trail up the second section, and it was packing really well. The problem was that after one or two people had driven on it, the traction was gone. A few tugs with the strap, and a few runs at some hills were needed, but eventually everyone made it off the trail. Myself, Rod, and Brandon had already broke trail to the top of Hogsback, so I figured a good route back to camp would be up to Hogsback, and then come down C-Line road. That was a bad idea.

The conditions really started to turn on us fast. Even though tracks had been laid, traction started to become an issue. Within minutes we had two people off the road, and most of the group at the bottom of the hill. Fast forward three hours, and we finally had everyone turned around and heading back the way we had came. I have to thank everyone for having the patience to sit still for so long. Stuff happens, it's part of wheeling. I think where we went wrong was in our running order. Also a huge thank you goes out to Brandon for getting everyone turned around. Unsung hero on the trip. :cheers:

Fast forward to Saturday. I had the itch for adventure so my plan was to hit up FB5, and make the loop over the top and ideally make it all the way to Waterfall. Brandon, John, Dave, Scott, and myself all headed out around 11.

We passed a group at the Rock of Doom on FB5. Surprising with the conditions, we all made it with relative ease.

Johns new tires hooked up all day.
IMG_0058.jpg

Scott's CJ clawing through the slush.
IMG_0060.jpg

Further up the first section we got to the short rocky hill climb.
IMG_0065.jpg

Big hole.
IMG_0062.jpg

Dave was determined to get up it. With a little rev limiter, and a good line he made it. The downside was he inverted his shackle. A quick fix with a hi-lift and winch and we were back on our way.

The second and third sections were fairly uneventful. When we got to the fourth section, navigating between the trees proved to be a problem for the open guys. Some cable was pulled, and some pressures were dropped but eventually we got to Crushers. We stopped to watch a group make it out of the lower loop, and then ran up to the staging area.

IMG_0067.jpg

Up top I ran into Pistonschick of Piston's Wild. Crystal was by herself up top, and informed me their group was having some mechanical problems in the lower loop. I wanted to make sure they had everything they needed so I hiked down into the bottom of the lower loop (snow shoes would have been nice). I found that their group was heading back out the lower entrance, so I hiked back up (a chair lift would have been nice). About that time Rod's group was just about ready to start the third section. We decided to meet up with them on the road, and I would take a detour to make sure Crystal made it back down to the lower entrance alright.

After our groups met back up we split off again. Rod's group headed back to camp, and my group set off back up the hill. Brandon and I ran Saddle Up down. It had a good amount of snow on it, and the ride down was defineitly a pucker factor. We continued on after that and made our way to the top of 7-Up trail (~3600ft?).

IMG_0075.jpg

Brandon went for the pass.
IMG_0077.jpg

From there we headed back down toward Hogsback. Brandon made it up, and John followed but unfortunately lost a bead at the top. After we got him back together, we decided to call it a day and head back down.

Although it was a slow day on the trails, I had an absolute blast. It's not often you get to run the trails with that much snow on them. I also have to hand it to John and Dave for sticking with me all day. You guys did awesome.

I have a few video's I'll get uploaded later tonight (and one from Thursday I'll keep for myself :laugh3:)

Also, this run was a good practice run for some future snow runs, and maybe an overnight snow run. Stay tuned...

IMG_0057.jpg

Thank you to everyone who came out. It's always great to put faces to screen names.

i have to say. this year was a blast! best day of wheeling up there i think ive had. Dustin led some awsome trails for a snow run. Good to meet Brandon aswell. his rig preformed sweet all day. even tough we couldent make it into camp i still had a great time.

heres some of my photos.

S7306734.jpg

S7306743.jpg

S7306754.jpg

S7306767.jpg

S7306804.jpg

S7306783.jpg

The Kid that kenw more that us all about wheeling "combined!" just ask him..

S7306813.jpg

short vid from up on top Driving past 7up
http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/... turkey run/?action=view&current=S7306796.mp4

pushed the door in a little bit, atop fb5. could have been worse "thx Dustin.":greensmok darn neer riped the 7way box off my hitch, and riped a valve stem out causing me to loose the bead atop Hogsback. all and all it was a good weekend.

thx agin guies it was a blast.

blumpkin
IMG_0567.jpg

my wifes best O face
IMG_0601.jpg

goblazers pile
IMG_0511.jpg

my pile
IMG_0461.jpg

mojojojojojojojojos's pile
IMG_0398.jpg

redjeep5's pile
IMG_0516.jpg

scotts pile
IMG_0396.jpg

street racing at 55 mph.
IMG_0634.jpg

thanksgivingrun016.jpg

thanksgivingrun022.jpg

thanksgivingrun027.jpg

thanksgivingrun030.jpg

thanksgivingrun037.jpg

this is what we found blocking us on firebreak
thanksgivingrun038.jpg

The stink of burning clutch was drifting through the forest as this sammy spent ten minutes humping the shit out of this rock
thanksgivingrun046.jpg

this brave soul was attempting to get his excursion up, probably would have made it if he wasn't open
thanksgivingrun061.jpg

rod
thanksgivingrun087.jpg

little nick
thanksgivingrun107.jpg

scott drove through like a toyota guy running 3 psi and bouncing off rocks, we were as surprised as he was that he didn't peel off all four tires
thanksgivingrun129.jpg

when you see it, you will shit bricks
thanksgivingrun134.jpg

eric
thanksgivingrun149.jpg

Dustin rejoins the group after spending some quality time with Crystal
thanksgivingrun158.jpg

holy huge pics batman!

Last edited:
Dang, I suck too! I totally planned on going, then the XJ took a dump on my plans. I'm still trying to fix it......but I plan on having it running by the X-mas Tree Run. It looks like you guys had a great time and I wish I could've joined you.

Back