• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Naches 9-25-10

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
Went out there with a buddy I met on PNWJeep for the maiden voyage on his 2-years in the making "wrangler." We basically went straight to the rocks...I played around a little bit at the funny rocks but shortly following that my friend seized his new 5.3 Vortec. Needless to say the fun at the rocks was cut short. However I still got enough to make the trip worth it, and while the other guy in our group towed the wrangler out I went to the moon rocks and wheeled for a bit by myself then floored it to catch up with them.

Here's some pics.

Digging deap by schmitz516, on Flickr

I'd never tried this line at the base of funny rocks running diagonal, in a sort of "crack." Figured I'd give it a shot, toward the end there's this section where I got tire lift-age and it was the only point where I just couldn't conquer it no matter what. I made a few dozen attempts and kept dragging my diff. up the rock until I finally couldn't move anymore. Bigger tires and a rear locker probably would have done it for me (and dryer dirt).

Is this the right line? by schmitz516, on Flickr

Myself getting some air by schmitz516, on Flickr

The maiden voyage by schmitz516, on Flickr

Suck down by schmitz516, on Flickr

IMG_0018 by schmitz516, on Flickr

IMG_0014 by schmitz516, on Flickr

It was a good trip. Just too bad Shane didn't get to wheel the piss out of his new rig like the original plan. Next time I go to Naches though I think I want to do some longer trails I don't normally get to do.

And here's a video of one of the lines I did at the moon rocks by myself...but this was taken at the meet and greet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnZzLNCGjIA

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Scott! Sorry to hear your weekend got cut short, but it looked fun while it lasted

Glad you guys enjoyed the pics. I wish I could take pictures all the time, there was a lot of fun wheeling going on for awhile.

Saw some awesome Broncos out there too.

EDIT: Good timing kfinney! We posted at the same time! haha But yeah it really is pretty neat. I never looked at it before, it wasn't the most challenging (except for the end) but it proved my rig can flex...that's for sure.

EDIT: Good timing kfinney! We posted at the same time! haha But yeah it really is pretty neat. I never looked at it before, it wasn't the most challenging (except for the end) but it proved my rig can flex...that's for sure.

It is one of the flexier lines at the rocks I think. I have that line in a couple of my videos, watching our XJ go through followed by a toy was fun, that toy got lots of air. I think the key is to hug the left side, keeps your diff from dragging if I remember correctly, and doesn't kick you back as much but it gets tippy there at the beginning.

It is one of the flexier lines at the rocks I think. I have that line in a couple of my videos, watching our XJ go through followed by a toy was fun, that toy got lots of air. I think the key is to hug the left side, keeps your diff from dragging if I remember correctly, and doesn't kick you back as much but it gets tippy there at the beginning.

Believe me, we tried. The problem was that the right tires were getting slick from some mud between the two rocks you have to drive over. So The tire that needs to grip was trying to go up the rock but instead slid along it. As a result I couldn't get up and over. I'm sure if it was drier I could have...but who knows.

Believe me, we tried. The problem was that the right tires were getting slick from some mud between the two rocks you have to drive over. So The tire that needs to grip was trying to go up the rock but instead slid along it. As a result I couldn't get up and over. I'm sure if it was drier I could have...but who knows.

That makes sense. . it's amazing how many problems a little moisture can create. . . looked good anyway though, and its cool to get some flexy, lift off pics too. Hope to see you on the trail sometime :)

Back